Friday, March 11, 2016

J is for Joy


Margaret talks about the joy of writing
 

Anyone who hasn’t written a book cannot possibly know how much pleasure it gives the writer. Admittedly it’s hard work at times but it is also extremely rewarding.

As a romantic novelist I create characters who live in my head for months at a time. They become my friends. I know every intimate detail about them. I’m often asked whether I base any of them on real people; on myself, my family, my friends, but, no. They’re all pure imagination. I did actually hear from one reader, a distant relative of mine, who was sure I’d based a character on a family member. I hadn’t, not consciously at least.

But the people in my books do become real when I write about them and that is the joy of writing. I live their life vicariously.

There is immense pleasure in creating new characters and learning their story, then re-telling that story to the readers. I make copious notes before I even begin to write but I don’t plot my book out in detail. I prefer to let my characters tell me their story.

I cannot imagine a job that would bring me as much joy as writing does. Admittedly I have bad days, days when I think I’ll never write again, but thankfully they are few and far between.

                                                    JOY

 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Must admit I'm not feeling very joyful at present, after struggling with one of my chapters for nearly a month! I don't usually feel joyful until the first draft is done! Then I start to enjoy the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling joyful at the moment. But I bet you will after your less than joyful chapter is finally done.

      Delete
  2. Yeah...my joy is missing at the moment. But I'm plodding along and hoping to find it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll find it soon, Jennifer. It never alludes us for too long.

      Delete
  3. I'm celebrating mini-milestones to generate the joy to rush down into, and out of, the next cravasse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing a happy dance when finally I've got something to go right! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I feel your excitement. Fingers crossed that there's more to follow.

      Delete
  5. I can so relate, Margaret. Growing up, I totally wanted to be friends with Nancy Drew. Now, when I create characters in my stories, I totally want to hang out with them. They definitely become real to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the best to you

    ReplyDelete