Tuesday, September 19, 2017

The Dreaded Research

Jennifer is starting a new series...

Research.

It’s the reason I don’t write historical romance, even though that’s my favorite genre to read. The research scares me. While I’m an intelligent human being, the amount of research necessary to accurately portray the appropriate time period, while also keeping the language accessible so as not to pull the reader out of the story, is daunting. And then there are the reviewers, who will be quick to point out that a certain cravat knot wasn’t fashionable or known for another two years after the time in which the story is written. Writers need thick skins, but I just can’t do it.

So I stick with contemporary romances, ostensibly to avoid some of that research. Except when I can’t.

I’m in the very early stages of writing a new series. One of the books in the series has the hero as the CEO of a cyber security firm and the heroine one of the computer programmers.

Have I mentioned I’m an English major? There’s a reason why I avoided math and science in college.

In order to correctly portray them, make their job sound legitimate and provide the secondary plot that runs through the book, I need to know a lot more about cyber security than “they work with computers.” Luckily for me, a girl I went to high school with works in that very field. Thanks to Facebook, we’ve kept in touch for years and she has generously agreed to answer my questions. So as I go through my first round of my own edits, I’m making notes about all the things I don’t know about cyber security and will put them into a hopefully coherent list of questions for her.


And then I’ll translate all of that and weave it into my manuscript in the hopes of making that part of the book realistic. Of course, all mistakes will be my own.

9 comments:

  1. Agree that research for historical romances is daunting (even for me, despite or maybe because I'm an historian by profession and so am perhaps more aware of the pitfalls of anachronistic detail!). However, as you say, even contemporary novels require research. Even if you only use 1% of the research in your novel, you still need to do the other 99% to make sure that your 1% is accurate. Good luck with your cyber security research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, which is why I'm so thankful I know someone who can help me. She'll make it a heck of a lot easier!

      Delete
  2. A friend who can answer technical questions is worth her weight in gold, IMO.
    You are fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, we are so much alike! Doing the research and getting it right is what's stopping me from actively pursuing a story set during the Civil War that's been in my head for years. The research scares the heck out of me.

    It's always exciting, though, starting a new series. Good luck with all of those cyber security facts. Sounds like you have a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra. The Civil War always fascinated me. If you ever get brave, go for it!

      Delete
  4. The best part of writing for me was the R & R = research and revision. 😁 You will be surprised at how much information you won't use from your research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know. Just going to have to buck up and do it. :)

      Delete
  5. I know exactly what you mean. I also have an historical novel bubbling in the background but it would demand a lot of research. The thought terrifies me!

    ReplyDelete