Here’s a quiz for you! All the quotations are connected with Christmas or New Year. Can you work out in which book they appear – and the author of each book?
1. Three times Della counted it. One dollar and eighty- seven cents. And the next day would be Christmas.
2. It was on the afternoon of the Christmas Eve, and I was in Mrs. Prothero's garden, waiting for cats, with her son Jim. It was snowing. It was always snowing at Christmas.
3. Santa Claus lives in the Laughing Valley, where stands the big, rambling castle in which his toys are manufactured. His workmen, selected from the ryls, knooks, pixies and fairies, live with him, and everyone is as busy as can be from one year's end to another.
4. Christmas isn't just a day. It's a frame of mind.
5. I had called upon my friend Sherlock Holmes upon the second morning after Christmas, with the intention of wishing him the compliments of the season. He was lounging upon the sofa in a purple dressing-gown, a pipe-rack within his reach upon the right, and a pile of crumpled morning papers, evidently newly studied, near at hand.
6. Lights were shining from every window, and there was a savory smell of roast goose, for it was New-Year's Eve yes, she remembered that. In a corner, between two houses one of which projected beyond the other, she sank down and huddled herself together. She had drawn her little feet under her, but could not keep off the cold. And she dared not go home, for she had sold no matches.
7. After a meal of turkey sandwiches, crumpets, trifle, and Christmas cake, everyone felt too full and sleepy to do much before bed except sit and watch Percy chase Fred and George all over Gryffindor tower because they'd stolen his prefect badge.
8. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.
9. This bell is a wonderful symbol of the spirit of Christmas – as am I. Just remember, the true spirit of Christmas lies in your heart.
10. I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a school-boy. I am as giddy as a drunken man. A merry Christmas to everybody! A happy New Year to all the world!
I'll echo the final sentiments of the last quote - and, as it's Christmas, I'll give a PDF copy of one of my books to one lucky person who sends the correct answers by December 25th. Leave a comment below, but don't write the answers in the comment box! Send your answers to me at paulamartinromances(at)gmail(dot)com, with 'Christmas Quiz Answers' in the subject line. Good luck!