Thursday, August 21, 2014

A New Series

Debra contemplates beginning a new series.

Last week if you remember I was lamenting my lack of foresight in giving my minor characters better names now that I was considering using them as main characters in stories of their own. These thoughts are still wandering around in my head, but I found in the last week they've been pushed a bit out of the limelight as new ideas and thoughts are whirling around in there.

I'm thinking about starting a new series. Because I have time to work on three books now that school has started again, right?

I've had the idea in my head for years to write a story about a rock star. Now that my music taste has evolved, he'll probably be a country star, but the idea will remain generally the same. In my early musings it had always been a stand alone book. But recently, the idea has morphed and grown and now I'm thinking the country star book should be the first in a new series of three. I'm sure it all stems from my love of reading series, and the fun and success I had writing my Corral series. I'm still working on a name for the series, but I've got the main characters thought out. Each book will focus on a different brother from the same family. At one time I thought about two brothers and a sister, but that seemed a bit similar to the format of my first series, so I thought I'd shake it up a bit. I've even thought about the love interests for each of the guys. And, I've written the teaser blurb for each of the stories.

Now I'd love for these to be print books, just because it's more fun for me, not necessarily better sales, but I like having actual books on my shelf. If they are print books, each needs to be a certain word count. For a while TWRP was going to print for books 65,000 and over, but I think they've dropped that count down a bit. But any way you look at it, that's a lot of words. And right now I have no time to write them.

School is back in full swing and right now it's all about getting a new set of students used to routines, schedules, and procedures. Which means I'm tired by the end of the day.

But I'm hoping my ill-timed muse will hang around until things get running a bit more smoothly...and then I can really put pen to paper, or more accurately, fingers to the keyboard, and get going with these stories.

In the meantime, I'm working with TWRP on getting my Corral series into a boxed set and waiting to hear back on the mss I submitted to my editor at the end of last month. So for me, lots of goings on in the writing side of life.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

7 comments:

  1. This is a great idea, Debra. Your muse is alive, well, and priming your creative well. You'll be typing furiously soon. I hop have a great group of kids in your classroom this year. So many future charactors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my muse is definitely priming the well all right!

      So far so good with school...although it's really hard to tell after only two days, right?! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great start to a series, Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am sure your muse will stay with you now, Debra, especially as you already have the blurbs written. That's a huge achievement in itself. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost like having a little mini outline...which is nice for staying on track. :)

      Delete
  4. Outlines are the best. You can follow them and still go in new directions.

    ReplyDelete