Wednesday, September 14, 2016

K = Knowing Your People

Paula thinks about how she gets to know her characters.  

I’ve had quite a lot of reviewers say they feel like they ‘know’ my characters e.g. “so well written that I feel I know all the characters personally” and “you feel that you have actually met them”.

Comments like this are great because they show the reader has really engaged with the characters – and it goes without saying that this will only happen if we, as writers, have also engaged with our characters. Or rather, with our ‘people’, since according to Hemingway, “When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature.”

We probably all have different ways of getting to know our characters in order to portray them realistically. At one end of the spectrum are the authors who write a detailed biography of their characters before they start the story and sometimes find pictures of them all to pin up near their computers. At the other end of the spectrum are the authors like me, who start simply with a name, and maybe (but not always) an occupation.

I’ve seen character ‘bio sheets’ or profiles that suggest you list everything from the person’s shoe size to what they like for breakfast, and from their best/worst childhood experience to their favourite movies/books/singers, and their political or religious beliefs.

Fair enough, if this helps a writer to ‘know’ their characters, but it wouldn’t work for me. I couldn’t work from a pre-formed ‘creation’ of a character. I prefer to get to know my people as I write the first draft of the story (and even then I probably couldn’t answer all the questions on a character profile!). It’s rather like getting to know a person in ‘real’ life, and I find they gradually reveal more of themselves, their backgrounds, their personalities, and their hopes and fears. Quite often I blink in surprise when a character tells me something I didn’t know.

In my current ‘work in progress’, I knew the hero needed some ‘back story’ but when my brainstorming partner asked me about it, all I could say was, ‘I don’t know yet, I’m waiting for him to tell me.’ Well, it’s taken a while but eventually, almost 60K words into the story, he finally got around to telling me! Yes, I’ll have to go back now, and layer in some extra details earlier in the story, but to me, that works better than foisting a back story on him in advance. Better for him to tell me, than for me to tell him!

I’d be interested to know how much you need to know about your ‘people’ before you start writing their story.

8 comments:

  1. I like to know the background of my main characters and what their initial outer goal is. I have to wait for them to reveal their secret inner goals. Like real life, they protect their vulnerable sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have a vague idea of their backgrounds when I start - and that can often change. The same with their goals too!

      Delete
  2. For me, it varies by book. I like to know what they look like and some of their internal motivation, but otherwise, I wait. Sometimes I know all of it right away, other times it takes longer for them to tell me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my own 'inner vision' of mine, which cover artists can't always match!
      Agree that the rest can vary book by book, depending on one's preliminary idea of the storyline.

      Delete
  3. I tend to get to know my characters as the story goes on. When I start I usually have a general idea of their background and GMC, but I really learn a lot about them as they make their way through the story.

    Which means sometimes I need to go back and revise those beginning chapters if I discover something 'new' about my characters along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I don't even know the GMC when I first start. That evolves as I go along, so I often have to go back and layer in extra details.

      Delete
  4. My process is similar to yours, Paula. When you first meet a person in 'real' life you don't know everything about them right away. You learn as your acquaintance grows. Why should it not be the same with a fictional character?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel, John. Getting to know characters is the same as getting to know people in real life :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete