Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Was there an Experience that trigged the desire/need to write?

When my parents divorced, I was 7 and it devastated me. As a kid you blame yourself. What did I do wrong? Or what didn’t I do? Why did daddy leave? ETC. I instantly knew that I had to take care of my baby brother and I needed an outlet for my hurt and anger. I started to keep a journal. I started to draw pictures and tell a story that went with those pictures. I wrote my thoughts down.

When I was 13, I read my first romance novel. Montana Sky by Nora Roberts. Immediately I knew I wanted to write romances. The very night I finished that book I began writing my first romance novel, Unexpected Love. I still have that story hidden away. It was awful, didn’t make sense and very short. But I finished it and I’m proud that I took that first step.

Since finishing my first novel I have gone on to finish 7 more. All of which need major edits. Some I may get to in time, but others I will leave the way they are, hidden with my first finished piece. A day doesn’t go by that I don’t write. That doesn’t always mean I sit down at my computer or with a notebook. I’m constantly writing in my head. Getting to know my characters, the place they call home, there family and friends, there jobs and the plot of the story.

And let’s just say if I didn’t write I would probably be locked up in a padded room from all the voices I hear in my head and the many arguments I have with my characters at 3 in the morning.

Until next time,
Tonya

1 comment:

  1. Coincidentally enough, my WIP has a heroine whose father left when she was 9 - and you have confirmed the feelings that I have attributed to her.
    For you, something good has come out of what must have been such a difficult childhood experience.

    ReplyDelete