Thursday, December 10, 2009

My WIP

I thought I’d completed my second story but comments from my critique partners made me realise that something was missing. So I’m now embarking on a total re-write of the last two chapters in order to strengthen the final denouement.

That has distracted me temporarily from my third story. But I needed to take a backward step from that because I’ve had a feeling for a few weeks that there was (again!) something missing from it. I couldn’t decide just what it was.

A couple of days ago, I finally reached the conclusion that the conflicts were all ‘internal’ i.e. the main characters are battling with their own thoughts and feelings. What is missing is a major conflict between the two characters – something that threatens to keep them apart until the reader is left wondering how on earth these two are ever going to get together for a happy ending. So I’ll be going back to the drawing board with the whole of that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment