Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Voice is Me

My voice is me. I don’t think about it, I just write what ‘feels’ and sounds right to me. I can’t really define it. Maybe it’s simply the syntax and vocabulary I use instinctively, and my own inner sense of ‘flow’. One of my CPs called it ‘the way you string words together’.

I know immediately when I’ve written something that doesn’t feel right. Sometimes I’ll stop and re-write it there and then; other times (e.g. when I want to write a scene quickly) I’ll leave it and go back later to write it differently. I don’t need to highlight it to find it again because I know I’ll recognise it immediately as not being right.

Okay, so maybe my ‘voice’ has changed over the years – but then so have I! When I started to look at writing ‘techniques’, I balked slightly, wondering if my ‘voice’ was going to change by adopting some of these techniques. After a while, I realised I had absorbed and then adapted them to my personal style (rather than the other way round).

One of my blogging/twitter friends said this when I asked him about a writer’s voice: “just find the writing style that makes you most comfortable” (thanks, Paul!). I think he’s right. If you struggle and agonise over ‘finding’ your voice, you’re doomed to failure. Just relax and write, and the real ‘you’ will come over in your writing.

5 comments:

  1. I think it's knowing the mechanics so well, there is no feeling of effort in the structuring of the sentences, or transition between scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that...voice is me.

    That pretty much sums it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paula,

    If the glove fits . . . ;)

    Have a great hol!

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay, my original post never saved. sorry! I love this--your voice is you. perfect.

    ReplyDelete