Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Extras

Jennifer talks about those extra scenes that didn't make the cut...

If you searched through my computer, and thank goodness you can’t, you’d find many files called “Extra.” There are so many, in fact, that some of them are numbered—Extra2, Extra3, etc. And these files are in every single one of my book files.

What are these “Extra” files? They are all the extra information that I’ve culled from manuscripts but was not willing to get rid of at the time. Some of them are paragraphs that didn’t need to be there. Others are entire scenes that were repetitive or just didn’t do what I wanted them to do.

Sometimes I create “Extra” files when my critique partners make suggestions. I agree with what they’ve said, but I’m not sure if I’m going to like it when it’s finished, so I move what I had into “Extra” and follow their advice. 99% of the time, I love what their suggestions result in, so I never need the information in “Extra.” But I keep it anyway.

I’m thinking I might start using some of these files as a marketing tool—either as a bonus for my street team or maybe in a newsletter. Obviously I wouldn’t use the badly written ones, but the files that just have additional information might be interesting.


What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. Interesting idea, Jen. Like a director's cut of a film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an extra file for each book in that folder. Maybe it wasn't needed there, but I thought it was important enough to write down - never thought at a director's cut. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still playing around with the idea, and obviously, can't use all of it (some is truly awful), but we'll see.

      Delete
  3. I have lots of 'Extra' files too. Must admit I'd never thought of using any of them as a marketing tool, but in some cases have kept them in case I can use the scene in another novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine using mine in other novels at this point, as they are so strongly tied in my mind to the books they were originally written for, but it's definitely an idea.

      Delete
  4. My files are marked 'outtakes', but I use them much in the same way you do. Things I've cut but are unwilling to completely let go.

    I've often thought of posting some on my web-site.

    ReplyDelete