Monday, August 17, 2015

In Ana's mind, G is for George

In both my WIPs, George is the first name of a major character. I have no idea why the name George is significant in the deep recesses of my brain. Maybe I sensed a British royal baby. Maybe because General Motors is the biggest corporation in the world. I can change Blade Master's father's name. The time travel is more complicated, with similar names in both the past and present.

            In Stormy Hawkins, George Masters is a self-made tycoon who expected his eldest son (the hero) to work in the family business and be groomed to take over when he was ready to retire. He dominated his son from a young age and drove him to run away at age seventeen. Father and son will have words soon (this is where I am at in my rewrite.) When they reconcile, the hero's inner wounds will heal, and at the black moment, he appears to choose his family over the heroine.

In my time travel story, the heroine, Angel Foster, meets the antagonist George Montague as he stands in front of a massive picture window overlooking Boston Commons. He is tall and fit, with thick, silvery hair and a strong profile. His hands are clasped behind his back, and he appears to be fidgeting with his wedding ring. He married into money, runs the posh private school set up by Brahmin wife, and secretly preys on poor, international, female students, who have granted visas and full scholarships.  
An uncontrollable impulse sweeps through her when Montague first turns toward her. She bows her head and sinks into a made-for-tv-movie curtsey. She's sure her irrational act will get her fired from her firm, but Montague loves it.

Here is her past-life father, in bed with his concubine, Lilli, describing the past-life Montague:

"Baron Godefroy Charlemagne du Montagne will not be pleased to hear his betrothed did not survive her rescue.”
“But it was his own son who gave chase.”
“Captain Thonon du Montagne is stationed far from Paris for a reason. The baron is not fond of any of his children.”
“Especially those who are in love with Angelique. Thonon confided he had written his father and asked him to release her.” She cradled his head on her chest. "Why does the baron have such an appetite for young wives?” 
“Think on yourself, my dove. What could be better than learning from a man of experience?”
“But how can he spend so many? This last one endured less than two years."
"The eighth Baroness was weak and prone to fainting spells.”
“You think that is how she fell from a third-story casement? I heard she jumped because she could no longer bear the lashes of his riding crop in bed. It makes my skin crawl just to think of it.”
“Nonsense,” he humpfed. “You know how tittle and tattle grows as it travels."


9 comments:

  1. Some names just stick with us, Ana. I use a lot of M names in my books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not had any major characters called George - or any minor ones, either, as far as I can recall. I have had a heroine named Charlotte, but she's always called Charley (probably unlike our latest Princess!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. George is a great name, but I do have to confess, nowadays the little prince always comes to mind when I hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's definitely a cute little Prince! And eventually he'll become King George the 7th, so he has a long line of Georges to follow (not least the third one who lost us the American colonies LOL!)

      Delete
  4. I wonder if names reflect the character or the other way round? I must confess if I hear a person's name I usually have an image in my mind of what they'll be like. I'm invariably wrong. But names in novels are so important. Strong names for strong characters, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting comment, Margaret. I wonder what you think of as 'strong' names? All my heroes bar one have had one syllable name - Kyle, Jack, Ross, Matt, Paul, Guy, and Luke. My latest in Liam so I'm breaking the mould with him!

      Delete
    2. This is interesting. Do one syllable names convey a 'strong' image? Is Bill stronger than William? Bob stronger than Robert?
      I chose Blade as a name because it conveyed (to me) sharp and fighter.
      My time travel hero is Jeremy, so I could get Jermande for his past life name. Does the first description of a hero "paint" his picture?

      Delete
  5. I also prefer one-syllable name for my male characters. As for the females, I Iike to use multi-syllabic names and have gravitated toward double names - Anna May, Melly Grace, etc. in my cozy mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used lots of one syllable names - but also many double syllable - Hunter and Damon to name but a couple. I think Hunter especially is a strong name. I've used Cade as well which also, to me, suggests a strong character.

    ReplyDelete