Thursday, December 8, 2016

W is for When

Debra wonders when she'll get motivated to write again.

It's been over three months since I've written anything (aside from my weekly blog posts and newsletters for school). On August 27 I wrote 515 words. My previous 'entry' on my 'how many words' list was a month prior to that. I wrote 57 words on July 27. Before that it was 120 words on July 21. I'm pretty sure, other than edits, I didn't write much of anything else over the beginning part of the summer either.

To say that I'm in a writing slump might just be the understatement of the year.

Since being published in 2008, I've had at least one release every year. In 2016 I'll have four. However, if something doesn't change (and soon) that number is going to be a big, fat ZERO for 2017.

The problem is I'm just not motivated. I just don't care. At the moment, I have no interest in writing. I have several ideas for books I want to write. Several WIP that are languishing on my thumb drives and computer. But there is no desire to do anything about them. I even had some free time the other night (and how often does THAT happen?), but instead of sitting down at the computer, I kind of wandered around the house wondering what I should do.

I'm pretty sure I've been in a writing slump before. But this one seems to be a mega, uber slump.

Last year at this time I was on a major roll and was in the processing of cranking out the four novellas which were released this year.

Maybe I burned myself out a little bit. Maybe my writing hobby was just a passing phase and I'm done with it. I really hope it's not the latter. When I'm in the mood, I really do enjoy writing and seeing my characters and stories come to life on the page.

Hopefully someday (SOON) that drive and desire will come back and I'll happily click away at my keyboard again.

In the meantime, I need to put together a publicity campaign for my NYE story which is coming out next week. (Nothing like waiting until the last minute, right?) I have the idea all ready to go,I just need to implement it, but too often I find myself falling into the 'not motivated' category for this too. Ay yi yi...what is wrong with me?!

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

6 comments:

  1. I don't think anything is wrong with you, Debra. Cycles are a natural part of life. We ride each wave, for better or worse while it lasts. It is inevitable that next one will come along. The trick is to recognize when. (That's what astrology readings do. They identify current and upcoming cycles so you "surf" effectively, recognizing the big waves and resting when the sea is calm.)
    You had four releases in 2016? That's huge. You are amazingly creative. You rode the wave like a master.
    Now, your creative well needs time to recharge. It's not a "bad" time. It's just the down side of a wave that will swell again, like all cycles. In fact, I would bet that your innate creativity is expressing itself in other ways right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana. I like the concept of recharging. And I've been having fun finding new things to do in my classroom this year...so maybe that's where my creativity s getting its outlet these days. :)

      Delete
  2. I think 4 books in one year is awesome! And probably the cause of your slump. So don't worry about it. Go do things you enjoy and when the time is right, you'll know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen. It's always nice to touch base with people who understand.

      Delete
  3. Hope your motivation returns sooner than mine did. I stopped writing for about 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too. :)

      But, in the same sense, it's 'comforting' to know I'm not the only one this happens to.

      Delete