Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Plotting

This is a tough one for me because I don't plot. I think of an idea and just see it as a movie. The story just comes to me. Example, a woman emailed me her first chapter and she really isn't sure where she wants to go next. So after reading the first chapter, I sent her an email several paragraphs long with ideas of where to go with the next chapter and the plotting.

After I have my beginning, middle, and end I come up with my theme. At some point there is a scene that stick out and where I get my title from, from there I use it as my theme and weave it through the entire story.

I'll give you the example from my current WIP: My hero and heroine were lovers when they were young. They did everything together, loved the same things. Eighteen years later, they meet up and search for a child they had and put up for adoption. Long story short, he wants to date her again and tells her that if he can find ten things they still have in common she will agree to see if they can pick up where they left off. Of course, throughout the story, he starts counting things they have in common. The title of the story COUNT DOWN TO LOVE. This has become my theme.

So how do you plot? Or do you sit and write and see where your characters take you?

No comments:

Post a Comment