Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Lawsuit anyone?

Do I fear being sued by someone depicted in one of my novels? No way. Let me tell you that if there is a male out there with the characteristics of my heroes, then I am bagging him! I have never come across a man like those found in my books (and yes I loved my husband very much but even he never saw himself as perfect). My guys are fantasy guys, how I would like it to be, but know that it never can.

My heroines these are made up too, although my daughter in law is always telling me that when they speak, she can hear my voice. “You say that,” she will insist. Do I? Perhaps psychologically then I am writing about a perfect me but that is not my intent.

Figures on the periphery? Not really, my imagination can make my villains larger than life. If I met someone like my villain in A Fatal Flaw, you would not see my rear end for the dust cloud. Same for the villain in the book I am intermittently working on at the moment.

No, I write fiction, there is no fear of anyone suing me…golly they would have to have a super ego to think they are my hero or villain.

Cheers.

6 comments:

  1. Exactly right - the hero is the guy fom an ideal world, not necessarily perfect (otherwise he'd be boring) but the guy we would fall in love with, IF we lived in that ideal world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romantic fiction can be described as delivering an escape for the reader. What I find more intriguing is seeing how a heroine changes in the process of dealing with a flawed hero or the evil villian. Fictional life can push strangers together and pull them apart. I think romance can be empowering, as well as entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Margaret: I sometimes wish my heroes were perfect, but they're always flawed in more ways than one. I think the latter might stem from the fact as an impressionable young reader I had a penchant for bad guys - like I fell in love with Carver Doone (Lorna Doone) when female readers were supposed to fall for the icky perfect hero, Jan Ridd (think that was his name - see how I did not fancy him one bit), while Carver was the evil anti-hero and utterly desirable!

    Paula: Don't we live in the fictional world we create? I know I do, hee hee, that's what makes it worthwhile: tormenting heroes, and preventing the heroine's from getting their claws into said hero until I've played with his senses and desires and ready to hand him on! ;)

    Ana: yes, love the pulling apart bit - again hero made to suffer and heroine unsure of her fate all things hero until she finds his weak spot and tweeks it! ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we do live in their world, Francine. And I like the idea of hanging on to my hero until I'm ready to hand him over to the heroine - at which point, I'm then in the heroine's shoes and fall willingly into his arms - and his bed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Heathcliffe and he is very, very anti-hero!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantasy, fantasy. That's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete