Thursday, January 13, 2011

Time Flies

Setting the initial time frame of a book is relatively easy. Colorful leaves put us in Autumn, drifting snowflakes take us to Winter, blooming flowers announce Spring, and hot, sultry nights let us know we're in the heart of Summer. With historicals, it seems even easier as many have a 'date stamp' at the beginning. (I think my all-time favorite time setter is: A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... Unfortunately, we all can't be George Lucas.)

Moving through week to week, day to day, or even hour by hour is a bit trickier.

I've enjoyed the posts this week, as this is a detail of writing I struggle with.
For my post I thought I'd share some examples of how I've 'moved through time' in my books.

She savored the sound of the deep timbre of his voice. She'd missed it over the last few weeks.

When the phone rang Wednesday afternoon...

Jake's words rolled through Zach's head later that night as he tried to fall asleep.

In the whirlwind of her parents leaving and making plans to join them soon, Jessica rarely had time to think about Zach over the next couple of days.

It had been almost a week since Logan had walked back in to her life...

After leaving Pete's house, she'd driven around for hours...

I'm not saying they're great, but there they are.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Perfect examples: lyrical flow to the prose and subtle yet defined! ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can recognise some of my own ways of moving through time in the examples you've given, Debra! It's a case of choosing the best one to fit the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these examples, Debra, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These transitions read effortlessly, Debra, even if they took work to achieve.
    In my WIP, the heroine loses consciousness in the present, and wakes up in 1490. I hope I've made a transition as smooth as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies. I thought I posted a comment earlier, but I don't see it here. Ooops! Thanks for the feedback and the encouragment...it is greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete