Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sensory Description

Well, ladies, you've done such a great job of covering this topic all week, I'm not sure what there's left for me to say. So, I thought I'd share a few examples from my work where I've managed to work the senses into a paragraph or two. I don't think I've managed to get all five senses every time, but I think most times I've been able to get three out of the five! For me, taste is the most difficult one to include.



From THIS TIME FOR ALWAYS:
As Sharlie input the requisition list, she was distracted by Logan's presence. His spicy aftershave enveloped her in intoxicating waves. The husky drawl of his voice when he asked a question skittered over her nerves. His masculinity overwhelmed her tiny office.





From WILD WEDDING WEEKEND:
Ignoring the disgruntled expressions of the people around them, Abby rested her head against Noah's shoulder and wrapped her arms around his waist, loving the feel of his arms around her. She inhaled. The sexy scent of his aftershave brought back vivid memories of his skin against hers.




From THIS CAN'T BE LOVE:
Trees lined the banks of the river, providing a lush pathway as Jessica and Zach made their way along in the gently moving current. Birds circled overhead, calling softly to one antoher. A slight breeze ruffled her ponytail and provided a measure of relief from the warmth of the sunshine pouring down.


Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

7 comments:

  1. Jumping in a little late. Great examples.
    On a writing class I took, we discussed three extra senses: Space, Time and the most tricky one, the sense of danger.

    José
    www.jhbogran.net
    www.facebook.com/jhbogran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Nicely done, Debra, all five senses covered.

    In Neuro Science terms, (hubby's field of expertise) only five senses truly exist, but there is an argument for synergy i.e. endorphin rush or adrenalin surge and empathy, which would in turn relate to emotions affected by the former. The latter physical response to former, i.e. tears, fear, anger, whatever, you name it!

    BTW: Great bit of marketing, too, and I so remember the paddling scenes and, what followed in This Can't Be Love. ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jose, I like those extra senses. Thanks for the tip.

    Francine, Ah, yes, the adrenalin. It seems that in a romance, there's all sorts of that going on. Glad you liked the paddling scene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great 'sense-filled' excerpts, Debra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been a great topic! Debra, your examples wrapped it all up with a big red satin bow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mnnn. A Satin bow...that brings to mind some great sensory images as well....ooh la la!

    ReplyDelete