Thursday, November 15, 2012

Life Imitating Art

As many posts have shown recently, our writing often is inspired by real-world moments that catch our attention for some reason. But what happens when it works the opposite way? This week a real-life happening occured that was right out of the pages of my new novella, An Unexpected Blessing.

In the story, my heroine, Katy, is a firm believer that Thanksgiving should get its due and be celebrated before any thought of Christmas takes place. Katy is a woman after my own heart. I modeled this part of her character on my own thoughts about the subject.

In one scene, she comes to the door and sees the yard covered in snow. She is not happy. It goes something like this:

One morning Katy opened the door to Joe’s smiling face. Her answering smile faded as she noticed the snow shovel in his hand.
“Why do you have that?” she demanded.
Joe looked down, then his gaze flew to hers. She immediately read the wariness in his eyes, but was so dismayed by what the shovel meant she didn’t take the time to reassure him she wasn’t harboring any thoughts of him doing violence. For the time being, she ignored the sadness slipping through her. She didn’t want Joe to think she was still afraid of him, but at the moment, a more immediate matter occupied her attention.
She peeked over his shoulder and moaned. A light dusting of snow covered the lawn. It sparkled in the sunshine. But she couldn’t appreciate its beauty. “No,” she whined. “It’s only November. It cannot snow.”
Joe raised an eyebrow.
She paused in her tirade to appreciate the effect it had on his face. But only for a brief second. “Snow is for Christmas. Not Thanksgiving. Ugh.”
He chuckled. “Wow. You are really hung up on that, aren’t you?”


In real life it went something like this. I was driving home from a meeting on Monday. A few flurries fluttered through the air. As I got closer to home, a few turned to many, which was extra apparent in the shine of the street lights. I announced my displeasure to my hubby as soon as I walked in the house. By the time I went to bed, some of the snow was starting to stick. In the morning I woke up to this:
Ugh. Ugh. And Ugh.

Luckily, just like in the story, it melted in an hour or so and we were back to the proper ground covering for Fall.

It made me think...if I would have known I was so good at predicting real life with my stories, I would have included something bigger and better. Maybe in my next book my heroine will win the Lottery!

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com



4 comments:

  1. Your reaction to snow (and Katy's) is the same as mine, Debra - I hate the stuff!
    I've had a few odd coincidences happen - one evening I was editing 'Her Only Option' at the same time as watching a TV programme about a Nile journey by Joanna Lumley. I'd just got to the part where my heroine and her friend are having tea in the top floor lounge of a hotel at Aswan - and looked at the TV to find Joanna Lumley having tea in that very same lounge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not had art imitate life, so far, but I do object to the overcrowding of holiday celebrations before their time (and of course, snow). One holiday at a time, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, How funny. Those coincidences can take us by surprise.

    Jennifer, that's totally my philisophy...one holiday at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish it would snow. We are so lacking moisture, only a buildup of snow that will melt next spring will save our hay fields, pastures and woods. I don't like the cold, but the climate is changing and our weather is much warmer than 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete