Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Bare Chests and Bulging Muscles

Paula gives her personal opinion about bare chests on book covers.

Are bare male chests the ‘fashion’ these days on book covers? I seem to have seen a lot of them recently, sometimes with a female hand resting on them, other times with unclad (or scantily clad) female pressed against them.
 
I have to admit that kind of cover doesn’t attract me. Some of the bare chests seem almost grotesque with bulging muscles and veins –ugh! Add large tattoos to that, and it’s double ‘ugh’ from me. They’re no more appealing than thin white torsos!
 
All a bare-chested male on the front cover represents to me is that the book probably has erotic/sex scenes. If this kind of image is intended to attract women readers, it actually has the opposite effect on me, since it suggests that the sexy or ‘hot’ scenes are the most important part of the story.
 
I have no objection to sex scenes, I have them in my own novels, but those scenes are only a small part of the story. My characters spend far more time with their clothes ON, than with them off, and the 'bedroom' (or wherever) scene is only part of the development of their relationship. 
 
That’s the reason why, whenever I fill in a cover art form for my publisher and suggest what I would like to see on the cover, I also add, ‘No bare chests please!’
 
What about you? Do you like to see bare chests on book covers? What kind of covers attract you – and what turns you off?

14 comments:

  1. If it's on the beach, bare chest is okay. A scantily clad woman pressed against him, no. Hand in had in swimming attire, yes.
    I prefer a single head shot of the hero or heroine OR a shot of the location of the story.
    I am an odd one though. Not falling into the cover sells the book group. I seldom look at a cover when buying a book. I immediately turn the book over and read the back cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, a bare chest in a beach context is okay-ish! I thought I wasn't influenced by book covers, until I realised a bare muscly chest probably wouldn't even make me turn to the back cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it depends on how the bare chest is portrayed. I've seen some covers where I like them and others where they completely turn me off. They tend to work more for me with historicals for some reason, although I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe a historical Highlander with a plaid sash across his chest is okay, Jen, but I'm referring more to the covers that are blatantly intended to say, 'Read this book, it's hot'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you Paula, bare anything suggests to me that the book is very sexy. I wonder how many readers might be let down when they discover they're not getting what they expect?
    Personally I prefer not having "people" on the cover at all. I like cut off bodies or silhouettes
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it depends on the type of book you're looking at. The 'hotter' the book the more naked the people on the cover seem to be!

    I don't mind bare chests if it works for the story. However, I write 'spicy' romance and I prefer my men to have their shirts on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We think alike, Anne! I don't mind people on my covers as long as they look something like I have imagined them while writing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right, Debra. Naked people on cover scream out 'hot, sexy book' to me and, I think, is a deliberate ploy to entice. Not that I'm enticed at all. I prefer romantic covers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a fan of bare, photoshopped chests--male or female--on book covers unless the story is primarily sexually oriented. I want a cover to convey truthfully the story's genre, theme and tone.
    Great topic, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Ana. You've summed it up perfectly - the cover should reflect the story genre, theme and tone - and naked chests seem to represent all three of those aspects as sex, sex and sex!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The title caught my eye, Paula. I absolutely agree with you. When I have to fill in the cover art sheet for my adult books, I always say no naked flesh. I especially get fed up with seeing half naked highlanders on covers - although I understand they're selling a fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. To me it says tacky, as if the story is relying on sex to sell. I would avoid any book with too much bare flesh. Most people look better with their clothes ON, but that's maybe because I am old!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rosemary, we obviously think alike - and LOL @ Highlander fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jan, I agree. Some things are best left to the imagination!

    ReplyDelete