Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Characters' Occupations

Paula looks at her characters’ occupations.
 
Earlier on today, I had no idea what I was going to write for today’s blog. However, I’ve just watched an hour long TV programme about young vets completing their training at an animal hospital. Not because I enjoy watching fairly gory surgery on animals, but because my latest hero is a veterinary surgeon. Yes, I did make some notes about diseases or injuries I could possibly use in my story, including details of a constipated cat!
 
I started to wonder why I decided to make my hero a vet. When I started this story, I had no real knowledge of vets, apart from occasional visits to a local one when I had a cat many years ago. So why did I choose this occupation? Why not something simpler like a pub landlord or even a hotel owner? The short answer is that he chose his own profession! Don’t ask me how or why, but in the first chapter, when he’s introducing himself to the heroine, he tells her he’s a vet – and after that, I couldn’t change his job to anything else!
 
Thinking about my other heroes, I’ve had a theatre director, a journalist/novelist, an archaeologist, a deputy head at a high school, a volcanologist, and a sign painter/artist – and in every case, the hero’s occupation has proved to be central to the story.
 
My heroines have been less varied – I’ve had three actresses (albeit all at different stages of their careers), a school teacher, a college professor, and a cruise ship tour guide. But again, their occupations have been essential in the development of the story.
 
I’ve read stories where the main characters’ occupations have been fairly incidental to the story line, so I can’t quite decide why all mine have had their particular jobs, even though in most cases, this has involved me in a lot of research.
 
I’ll be interested to know how you choose the occupations of your characters, how big a part those occupations play in your stories, and how much research you need to do.

6 comments:

  1. A constipated cat?! Wow, you are one dedicated researcher! :)

    Most of my characters' professions are integral to the story line/conflict. I usually try to stick with what I know, but I did have to do some research on being a ski instructor and a member of the Secret Service for one story. I did have one of my heroines work in a book store just for fun. It didn't have anything to do directly with the plot, but given MY love of books, I thought I'd live vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I spent the whole of one Sunday afternoon watching YouTube videos of mares giving birth - and I'm now an expert on dogs' ear mites too!
      I think I must be a frustrated actress, as I love my heroines being actresses - another example of living vicariously?

      Delete
  2. In Stormy Hawkins, the hero had to be a self-taught cowboy--like me, a city transplant who got into country ways.
    In my time travel, the hero is a teacher-priest tempted by the time traveling heroine. "Ruining" a priest is pretty heady stuff, IMO.
    In my suspense WIP, the hero is a PA; his occupation serves the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that you used your own experience in the Stormy story. 'Ruining' a priest is an interesting scenario. (Colleen McCullough did it in 'The Thorn Birds' though!)

      Delete
  3. I've chosen occupations based on the what would fit the type of character I've created. Some, I'm familiar with, others I've had to do research. The research is fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably spend more time researching my characters' occupations than anything else!

      Delete