Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Different writers = Different methods of writing.

Paula looks at what some best-selling authors have said about their writing.

I read an article recently in which 3 best-selling authors spoke about their methods and it struck me how different they are. Each writer, it seems, works in the way that suits them best.

Barbara Taylor Bradford says, “I must know the entire book before I can sit down and write myself an outline. It is very useful as a blueprint, and I try to stick with it. Of course it doesn’t always work out that way. Sometimes I’ve thought it out and got it down, but it’s not right. I always say people, ‘Don’t worry if it’s not right; you’ve got something that you can tackle the next day and then get it right’. I don’t have the method that some people have, which is to write a first draft completely. I stay on chapter one, writing and editing until I am satisfied. Then I move on to chapter two.”

In contrast, Bernard Cornwell says, “For me, the joy of writing is the same as the joy of reading: to find out what happens next. I start with a situation, throw the hero or heroine into it, write the first chapter, and I genuinely don’t know what’s going to happen in the second. I know where I want the book to go, I have a destination in mind, but I have no idea how I’m going to get there. I don't worry about style in the first draft. The first draft is about getting the story right."

Jeffrey Archer says, “To people who say, ‘I’ve written a book’, I say, ‘I doubt it; you’ve probably written a first draft.’ My books have had 13 or 14 drafts. You’ve got to accept that it’s a marathon every time.”
He goes on to say, “You have to make sure have to turn the pages. When they get to the end of a chapter, they have to curse you. I love it when people say, ‘Damn you, I sat up all night reading.’ That’s great. That’s what I’m trying to achieve.”


I think my own writing method is a combination of all these! I’m not as disciplined as Barbara Taylor Bradford, in that I don’t have the complete outline first, but I do tend to edit as I go along. Often I’m more like Bernard Cornwell – not knowing what is going to happen next. But I agree with Jeffrey Archer in that you have to make readers want to keep turning the pages.

Which one do you relate to most?


6 comments:

  1. Bernard Cornwell, although not completely. I do worry about style. My characters surprise me, some are uncooperative. As a matter of fact,I have changed the story end of my one novel several times and I haven't reached it yet!
    One character has more depth than I was expecting to give her...she's right; it's made all the difference not only in the richness of the story but the ability for the readers to relate to her and her part of the storyline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it difficult to turn off my 'inner editor' in my first draft, too, Tonette. I've tried highlighting a sentence or paragraph that I know isn't right, telling myself I'll come back to it later, but it continues to mutter at me until I do get it right!
      I love finding out more about my characters as I write the story, and it's great how they can surprise you at times :-)

      Delete
  2. I'd say I'm a mix too. I usually know the beginning and the end and some basic plot details when I start, but how I'm going to get there is always a mystery. When I'm immersed in the story, the ideas start to flow and one thing leads to another and the story emerges. Sometimes easier than at other times! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same, Debra. My current WIP, however, has gone through more rewrites than most of my other stories, as my original plot simply wasn't working out right. Now, many months later, I think I'm finally on the right track :-)

      Delete
  3. I think I'm a combination of all three, but I try not to get hung up in one spot for too long because I'd prefer to fix on the second round (unless it's huge).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second round fixing is good, if you can do it! Must admit I've left half of my Chapter16 dangling at the moment, while I continue with the story. I need to know what happens next before I can complete that chapter!

      Delete