Friday, January 16, 2015

B is for Beginning.

Margaret recalls the beginning of her writing career.

How does anyone decide they want to become a writer? The thought never occurred to me until one day an idea for a short story popped into my head. I had previously gone to college to learn German, believing I would find a better job if I could speak another language. My plan was German first then French.  But when the whole class failed the exam, and they sacked the teacher, I gave up on the idea.  At the same time I enrolled in an English class so perhaps it was this that set me off. I’d always been good at English at school and looking back I don’t think I really needed those classes – but if they are what started me on my writing career who am I to question it?

I’d always read romance so it came naturally to me to want to write this type of book. Can you believe I did all of my writing at work? At the time I was a secretary in a very small company and often was alone in the office. What I didn’t know was whether my writing was of publishable quality. So I joined my local writer’s circle and as luck would have it the lady who ran it was a Mills & Boon writer. She took me under her wing and I did many re-writes before she said she couldn’t help me anymore and suggested I send it to them.

Sadly they rejected it, but they did say they liked my writing style and would be prepared to read anything else I wrote. Encouragement indeed! (Forgive me if you’ve heard this story before, I know I’ve recounted it many times.) So, suitably encouraged, I wrote another story, really studying the market this time. Once I’d sent it off I started another one. The bug had really bitten! And I sent that to them even though I hadn’t heard anything about my other manuscript.

Within days I had a letter accepting both. No phone calls in those days. Can you imagine my excitement? I grabbed hold of my husband and we danced around the room. The kids thought we were mad because they didn’t know what was going on. It was the most exciting day of my life.

That was in 1976 and I never dreamed I would still be writing all these years later.  I have slowed down, two books a year now instead of four, and with a different publisher. Perhaps it’s in my blood, perhaps enjoying writing essays at school was the pre-cursor to my writing career. After my initial success I did manage to get in touch with my English teacher (who had retired by this time) and she was delighted with the news. I can imagine it making her day when she discovered that one of her pupils was now a published writer.

One thing I do truly know, is that I will never stop writing. It is the most rewarding (and I mean in a personal sense not financially) and enjoyable occupation anyone can have. Each morning after breakfast I say to my husband, “I’m going to work now.” It’s only in the next room but it is my work space – and I love it.

10 comments:

  1. The compulsion to write surely is a bug, Margaret. I love the image of you "going to work." I hope some day to have writing be my day job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll get there. It took me a few years before I felt able to quite my day job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved hearing about how you got started, Margaret. And you're right, doing something you love is so much more than "work!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Jennifer. I call it work but actually it's a real pleasure.

      Delete
  4. I'm so impressed that you managed to write four novels each year! I'd love to know how or where you got all your ideas for so many different stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, the ideas just tumbled into my head. All I needed was the conflict between hero and heroine and away I'd go. I have to admit I'm finding it more difficult to come up with new situations, but I do always manage it.

      Delete
  5. I began my romance career as a reader in high school. Somewhere in the back of my head was always the thought, "I'd like to write one of these some day."

    Years later, a new friend mentioned she was part of a writers' group. I joined my local RWA chapter, and the rest as they say, is history! :)

    Margaret...four novels a year? You are a rock star!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Debra, but don't forget I was working at it full time. And they were only 55,000 words each. It sort of puts it into context, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your initial episode of rewrites, and then still not getting accepted must have been very painful for you, Margaret, but it's a really useful reminder that *everyone* has disappointments when they start out. You had the determination every published writer needs, and you won through. A lovely, heartwarming post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I was determined, Paula. I simply loved writing.

    ReplyDelete