Thursday, February 12, 2015

F is for Fingers Crossed

Debra awaits word from her editor about a contract.

Once again, I'm in the fingers crossed period of a project. (Don't get me wrong, this is a fabulous place to be!) I submitted a query and synopsis to my editor last week, and she did a read-through early this week. I got an e-mail from her today saying she loved the story and was putting in a request for a contract and would keep me posted. Yay!

This has been an extremely fast-moving project for me. I was able to write the story quickly and a fortuitous snow day last week allowed me to get it submitted earlier than I thought I would. I also learned that as a repeat author with TWRP, when I send a query, I can also send the full mss. My editor called it a perk of being a regular. It's a fantastic perk if you ask me. Now, instead of going through two phases of crossing fingers...one, hoping for a request for a full based on a query, and then two, more hoping for the offer of a contract...I'll only need to do it once.

While waiting to hear from my editor, I did make an attempt to start a new project, but I have to confess I didn't get very far. Basketball season is in its last few weeks, and I have two or three night-time commitments from now until the end of February. Not to mention my Community Ed yoga class starts up again this week.

However, once basketball season is over, I have my fingers crossed that I can jump right back into the writing routine I established while working on my latest submission. My dream plan would be to have two writing times each day: one for working on edits if a contract is offered on my Corral spin-off, and another time for working on a new project. This might be a bit too ambitious, but we'll see. It might have to be an every-other-day type routine. Of course to get any of this work done, I'll need to uncross my fingers so I can type!

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

8 comments:

  1. TWRP certainly takes good care of its authors. I'm glad things are going so well for you.
    My granddaughter is in 6th grade basketball. She has tournaments every Saturday. Keeps everyone busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love being part of the Garden at TWRP.

      Yep, basketball season keeps everyone hopping.

      Delete
  2. I know how annoying it can be when life gets in the way of writing. It's a matter of priorities. Except that family always has to come first. I can imagine how excited you must have been when your editor told you you could send in your work without a synopsis. Happy Days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My RWA chapter calls those moments 'life intrusions'. Sometimes, there are just things that need to come before your writing in life.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Debra! That's wonderful. Perks of being an in-house author are definitely nice, aren't they? Good luck balancing everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balance is always good.

      At this point, even if I'm not sitting down at the keyboard, I have ideas spinning in my head, so when I finally get to sit down, I'll have somewhere to start.

      Delete
  4. Congrats, Debra. It's great when everything goes through so quickly and easily, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete