Thursday, July 16, 2015

B is for Bull Rider

Debra's Jake Hawkins is a champion bull rider.

There's not much of anything that's more cowboy than a bull rider. From his hat to his boots and the vest, chaps, and spurs in between...it's the quintessential cowboy look. And my little heart is not immune to the look nor the charm of the man beneath the hat.


I first fell in love with the rodeo and its bull riders when my hubby (back when he was merely 'the boyfriend') decided he wanted to ride bulls. He gave it a whirl a few times, wound up with some major injuries, and decided to hang up his spurs. For me, however, the love affair continued.

So I guess it's only natural that many of my romances have a cowboy/country theme. But so far, I've only written about one actual bull rider: Jake Hawkins.

We first meet Jake in This Time for Always, the first book in my Corral series. He's a secondary character, but I always knew he'd have a story of his own some day. This Feels Like Home is Jake's story.

The letter to the reader at the beginning of the book tells us a bit about Jake:

For those of you familiar with the first two books in the series, you’ll know all about this story’s hero, Jake. Jake is the third of a trio of characters I thought up way back when I first had the dream to write a romance novel.
Jake was the guy always there for his friends, and who often helped them find their way down true love’s path but planned on steering clear of love for himself, so he could focus on his rodeo career. But of course, we all know it takes just the right woman to come along and change a hero’s mind, so I brought Amber into Jake’s life.


Amber is an interesting contrast to the danger-addicted cowboy. She's a certified accessibility consultant and counselor who knows all too well the hazards of extreme sports gone wrong.

I wanted my story to be as authentic as possible, so I attended lots of rodeos, took copious notes, a million pictures, and 'haunted' the PBR (Professional Bull Riders) web-site.

Here are some of my favorite photos, taken at the Big Hat Rodeo, all in the name of research, of course!





Until next time,

Cowboy Up!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

This Feels Like Home is available from The Wild Rose Press.

Can a danger-addicted cowboy and a safety-conscious urbanite ever see eye-to-eye?

When Chicago native Amber Winfield visits her aunt in Texas, she's happy to absorb some local color--but dating a bull rider? That's more cowboy than she's prepared to go. As an accessibility consultant, she knows too well the hazards of extreme sports. Just one night with Jake Hawkins, though, and she's captivated by the caring man underneath the cowboy swagger. But she could never fall for a man so intent on chasing danger...could she?

Jake's got one goal--earn enough points to ride on the pro circuit--and he won't let anyone stand in his way. Especially not a sophisticated city lady who thinks bull riding is crazy. Women like Amber are the reason he's perfected the art of loving and leaving. So why can't he get her off of his mind...or out of his heart?

11 comments:

  1. Your hubby must be amazing. I've watched professional bull riders, and they're crazy / testosterone. Ten seconds or bust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was way scary to watch, let me tell you...

      Those eight seconds last a lifetime.

      Delete
  2. Cowboys are my favorite heroes. You don't find raw masculinity like that anywhere else. Wishing you good luck and great sales for This Feels Like Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra,

      So true on the raw masculinity. It gives me the shivers just thinking about them...:)

      Delete
  3. Very cool, Debra. I didn't know your husband actually tried it! We went to a rodeo last year and had so much fun watching everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rodeo is super, super fun! I enjoy the rest of the events, but bull riding is definitely my favorite! :)

      As for the hubby, I'm glad he tried it, and then decided he was done. As exciting as it is, it really can be quite nerve-wracking watching someone you love on the back of an animal that literally weighs a ton.

      Delete
  4. Must admit that rodeos and bull riding (and cowboys) are an 'American' thing that I've never really been able to relate to. Sorry, Debra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Paula! It's definitely an American thing. The MC in "Home" at the rodeo says something to that very effect!

      Delete
    2. Think the same could apply to baseball, too! :-)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete