Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Z Is For Zzzz

Jennifer talks about sleeping...

It is probably not a coincidence that my blog post is about sleeping on the day I got little, if any sleep. When I went to sleep last night, or attempted to, I had no idea what I was going to write for Z. And when I woke up at 2:30 this morning, I still didn’t know. But I went back to sleep and 6 and now, I’m inspired!

Inspiration. It happens to writers at all different times. Many times are inconvenient. But for me, the most frequent time it happens is right as I’m drifting off to sleep. I love my characters, and I’ll often think about them when I’m trying to empty my mind of the stresses of the day. Therefore, I often work out plot problems or motivation issues or any number of things right before I fall asleep.

I used to think I’d remember my solution in the morning. Hah! Fat chance. So now, I have a few things I use to help myself. One is paper and pen. The problem with that is I don’t want to wake up my husband, so what I scribble is often illegible. Another is my iPhone or iPad. I can jot a few notes down and then fill them in the next morning. And recently, one of my critique partners gave me this cool notebook with a light attached for this very problem. I can’t wait to use it!


When are you inspired?

10 comments:

  1. I had a brilliant (maybe) idea at 3 am last night.
    I can't remember it right now, but I figure it will come back around.
    Or one just as (maybe) good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, when I'm stuck on how to phrase something, or a piece of dialogue, I can get a flash of inspiration if I leave my computer and go to the loo (UK slang for the bathroom)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get my inspiration in bed and keep a notebook for that very purpose, writing in the dark as well. It's usually legible but not in very straight lines. It's useful when I'm working out problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, Margaret. I usually end up writing on top of previous lines.

      Delete
  4. Ah yes, those late night illegible scribblings...gotta love them!

    If I'm working on a particular story, inspiration tends to come at any and all odd moments. Sometimes a conversation or a commercial or a song triggers something...hopefully I'm in a place where I can at least jot a few notes so the idea doesn't slip totally away. If I can keep thinking about it throughout the day (even subconsciously) until I can get to my computer or a notebook, usually I can make it work for the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Debra. I love when I get ideas for what I'm working on!

      Delete
  5. As with most people thoughts and ideas come out of the blue. I try to write them down but its not always possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a great dictation app for my phone to use when I can't stop and write.

      Delete