Tuesday, March 1, 2016

I Is For Invaluable

Jennifer met with her critique partner today...

One of my critique partners and I met today and wow, did we get a lot accomplished in three hours!

We meet approximately every six weeks or so. Sometimes we’re purely social, but most times we try to combine at least a little work into our coffees. Today was an exceptional day.

She’s getting ready for her debut novel to be published and she’s setting up all of her marketing and release pieces, so we went over her website and created a list of suggested changes. We put together some things for her to do on social media and we plotted her next three-book series. We also fleshed out my plan for the new book I’m currently working on, paying special attention to conflict, which is my weakness. And we played with some marketing ideas for me to drum up sales this month for one of my books. We even took a photo that we’re both going to use for “behind-the-scenes” stuff.

Critique partners are invaluable to me as they all have particular strengths that cover my own weaknesses, and it’s great to be able to make use of them. The relationships work the best when that’s true of all parties and when all parties are receptive to ideas.


So now I’m home working on these new ideas (which is why this blog posting is so late—sorry!) and looking forward to our next meeting!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderfully productive day, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day you had. I can't believe how much you accomplished. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were pretty surprised too! It's always easier to help someone else than to figure it out yourself.

      Delete
  3. Good job, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a great meet-up and achieved a lot of useful work. One-to-one meetings in 'real life' are definitely invaluable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is a super productive day.

    I have to say I'm a bit jealous of your one-on-one critique partner. I just haven't found someone to be that for me yet...maybe one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete