Tuesday, September 20, 2016

L Is For Lily

Jennifer talks about names...

How do you come up with names for your characters? On really lucky days, my characters pop into my head already named. But often, I put a placeholder in there and come up with final names as I get to know my characters better.


In my first book, A Heart of Little Faith, however, I used a baby name book. I wanted the names to symbolize character traits. The hero was strong, so I named him Gideon. Each name usually has multiple meanings, but I liked the “warrior” definition I found. The heroine had to be everything he wasn’t, though, in order to turn and soften him. So I named her Lily, which means pure (and yes, it’s also a flower). It was one more way of unveiling who the character is to the reader.

Amazon

9 comments:

  1. To invent character names, I start by thinking of their personality or profession.
    In my timetravel, Angel Foster will live, die and live again, so Angel seemed appropriate. She's an orphan, so ditto Foster.

    In my historical, Blade Masters's name came to me because Masters sounds like someone in control. Blade adds sharpness.
    Stormy Hawkins first name tries to imply her quick to anger temperament. Hawkins was intended to evoke an old-time feeling.

    In my contemporary suspense WIP, Galen Thomas's first name came about because Galen means doctor or healer in Latin. (Thomas was pulled out of a hat.) Sturgeon is a big, long-lived MN fresh water fish. Ammi is short for a wildflower, but I'm not sure her name will stick. I wants something "herb-y."
    So I go for main character names that imply their nature. As for secondary characters, their names pop up willy nilly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used the meanings of names, mainly because parents don't know what characteristics a child will have when they first give it a name! On the whole (although not always), I go with names that were current in the decade when the the character was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think having names in the correct time period is important as well.

      Delete
    2. Yes, a grandmother is unlikely to be called Beyonce! :-)

      Delete
    3. Ha! Wouldn't that be funny, though. Maybe there was a really important reason for the grandchild to call her that!

      Delete
    4. It would be interesting to invent that reason, wouldn't it? :-)

      Delete
  3. MOST of the time they just come to me. I do try to use names that 'work well' with each other for each story. I also try to vary the syllables in the hero and heroine's names.

    Sometimes it's more of a struggle. I have been known to search on-line baby name data-bases for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I can't have names that rhyme or are too similar. Leads to reader confusion.

      Delete