Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Writing a Synopsis

I have to write my synopsis AFTER I write the story.

The story may not be complete, but the plot and chapters are there.

The rules for writing a synopsis are like the rules for writing a novel - ask a hundred people what the rules are and you'll get a hundred different answers.

I was taught by a popular writer how to write a synopsis. From that synopsis I received many requests. So, it worked. Why change it.

What I was taught: Open with a postive attitude: Widow and single parent, MaKayla Adams has the best plan to keep herself occupied when her son leaves for college in two weeks – start her own public relations business.

Her conflict: The problem – who will hire a thirty-six year old with a college degree and no experience?

The above are the first paragraph. My second paragraph, I describe the beginning and setting of the story and the heroines inner and outer conflicts. Next paragraph sets the tone for my heroine and what she will be up against.

Next couple of paragraphs you learn a little about my hero and his inner conflict and then he realizes who she is.

This is the black moment.

And then the rest describes how they make it through that black moment.

This is all done in a narrative voice. No deep POV or third person. This is four double-spaced pages.

1 comment:

  1. I agree...when you find something that works, stick with it.

    ReplyDelete