Friday, May 8, 2015

R is for redundancy


Margaret talks about using redundant words

I’m not talking about being made redundant from your job here, but redundant words and phrases. As a writer I often find myself using words and phrases that are totally redundant. They all find their way (theoretically) into my waste paper basket. So why do I put them there in the first place?

Because initially I let my thoughts run away with themselves. I write as quickly as I can regardless of whether it makes total sense. Again, why? Because it makes sense to me. It’s the way my mind works.

Do all writers work this way? I don’t know. You tell me. The next morning I go through my previous day’s work and delete or alter until I’m happy. I’m not saying it’s at the perfect stage yet, far from it, but reading it through leads the way into my next writing session. And I much prefer to get rid of the redundant stuff earlier than later.

8 comments:

  1. That's a great method, Margaret. Almost a two-for-one: editing and reviewing what you wrote. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same as you do, Margaret, partly to edit what I wrote the previous day, and partly to get myself back into the chapter again. Of course, I also do a huge edit again once the first draft is complete! With 'Irish Intrigue', I eventually deleted about 30,000 words. It was a good exercise in getting rid, not just of redundant words and phrases, but sometimes whole conversations! My mantra was, 'Is this absolutely necessary?' - and if it wasn't, then I deleted it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I can't imagine deleting 30,000 words. Your mind must have run away with you in the first place.

      Delete
    2. I got rid of some scenes that I might have kept if I'd been trying to add words, but I also cut a lot of conversations down to a minimum!

      Delete
  3. I also write redundant words and phrases. After reading your post, I think I do it because I can think of multiple ways to convey the same thing. If I can, I choose one right then (I'm a Libra rising; I have to weight everything from words to what to order at a fast-food restaurant. I never know what will be good until I'm in the moment.) I often have to also go back and trim out the multiples I miss. I guess I love playing with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what writers do, isn't it, Ana, play with words? It's an interesting game!

      Delete
  4. I tend to be a 'train of thought' writer as well. Then, of course, later I have to go back and tighten.

    I'm also guilty of having my characters think something, and then say it out loud a few paragraphs later. My editor always catches me on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that expression of 'train of thought' writer because that is exactly what I do in a first draft, especially with conversations/dialogue. Later I find I can delete or condense what they said.

      Delete