Thursday, May 14, 2015

S is for Series

Debra loves a good series.

I've always been a fan of series. I love being able to follow characters throughout the course of more than one book. Which is probably why I enjoyed writing my own series so much.

When I first set out to write This Time for Always, I always envisioned it as the first book of a three-part series. I've said it before, but it was truly a dream come true to complete the series with This Can't Be Love and This Feels Like Home. Each subsequent story allowed me to not only tell about a new hero and heroine's journey to true love, but to peek back at the previous characters and let readers know what happened after their happily ever afters. For my series, each book is a stand alone read with its own hero and heroine, but the three original characters (Sharlie, Zach, and Jake) make an appearance in all three books and their stories are intertwined with the new leads. I will admit, there are probably a few minor spoilers if you read them in the wrong order, but nothing major. I mean, after all, we all know a romance is going to have a HEA and our characters will wind up together in the end.

I was crazy thrilled, happy, and proud when I finished my Corral series, but I soon realized I wasn't quite ready to let go of the world I'd built. So I've come up with a spin-off series featuring the same bar. This new sub-series also integrates some of my favorite themes to write about: holidays. The first book Christmas at The Corral will be released on November 4 of this year. I also have plans to write a Halloween, Fourth of July, New Year's Eve, and Valentine's Day story for the series.

The original titles in the series were all full-length novels, the spin-offs are novellas. In the new series, those original main characters may be mentioned, but they won't ever make an appearance. And there's not as much of a time line involved. I just want to hang around at The Corral for a little while longer.

I also have an idea for another series of three, or possibly four, new novels. The first will be based on an idea I've had for ages. I'd only intended it to be a stand-alone, but had one of Paula's lightbulb moments and decided I could use it as the first in a series. I've even got simple tag lines for two of the other books already too. The heroes in these stories will all be brothers.

That said, I haven't done much in the way of getting anything written for the first book. I know where I want the story to go, but I'm having trouble getting it started and set up in just the right way. I'm not worried. It will come to me.

In the meantime, I have Julie Ann Walker's latest Black Knights Inc. book sitting on my shelf waiting to be my first read of summer. She also has the first book in a new series coming out in July. And a few of my favorite cozies have new books out or coming soon as well. So even if I'm not writing a series, I'll still be immersed in (at least) one.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

The Corral Series
available from The Wild Rose Press

4 comments:

  1. My last two books were linked by step-brothers but its the first time I've done it. I can't believe you've got all these ideas in your head for future books. I'm a one book at a time kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ideas are there...now we'll see how long it takes to actually make something out of them!

      Delete
  2. Now that I'm in the middle of writing my own series, I'm amazed at how others, including you, have done it--there are so many things that have to be carried from one book to the next and keeping everything straight is daunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely going to keep track of minor things more carefully this time around. I did a lot of looking back at the previous books to check certain facts, people, and events.

      Delete