Thursday, November 10, 2016

S is for Series

Debra likes to read and write books that are part of a series.

I am a big fan of series. Both reading them and writing them. When I sat down to actually write my very first romance, I always envisioned it as the first of a three book series. It still thrills me to no end to have had that particular dream come true. My Corral series even spawned a sub-series (so to say) because I loved the setting so much I wasn't ready to let it go after three novels.

Floating around in the back of my brain are ideas for two more series. One about a trio of brothers from a small town and another based on my cruise travels around the Caribbean. My problem these days is that there is plenty going on in the 'big idea' arena, but not enough time to get down to the nitty-gritty details and get any writing done.

I have what I thought was going to be a stand-alone book in my to-be-worked-on file, but now it's nudging me to create more books set in this particular town and do a series.

When I read for pleasure, my go to books are nearly always series ones. Sometimes it's one hero and heroine that continue throughout all of the books (This is especially true of cozy mysteries), but sometimes it different main characters in the same setting or place that make a series.

Why do I like series so much? Because I love that when I get to know a particular characters (or a group of characters) I don't have to say good-bye to them at the end of a book. I know I'll meet up with them again in the next installment.

Series are also great for building a following. If a reader enjoys one of your books, having more to offer within the same series can lead to more sales. They might even look forward to the next installment. (I know I'm the nerd who writes release dates for books in my favorite series down in my planner so I can grab them the day they hit the shelves.)

I do read (and write) stand-alones from time to time, but my go-to books of choice are definitely those that are part of a series.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

6 comments:

  1. I get an enormous amount of pleasure from reading series. Whether it was waiting for the next Harry Potter, desperate for the next Game of Thrones or a family saga on a remote Scottish Island. When you've really enjoyed a book and it comes to an end, you can feel like you've lost a friend. Not so, with a series, the next exciting book is waiting for you - although sometimes you're waiting for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And I have to say, usually it's me waiting for it. Although it's nice to 'discover' a new series you haven't read yet and be able to pour through book after book to get caught up. :)

      Delete
  2. Great post!
    I hear all the time that series sell.
    Debra, have you found that your series books outsell the stand-alone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. My stand-alones always have the least sales numbers in any given quarter.

      Delete
  3. I didn't plan to write a series set in Ireland - but my publisher made a suggestion about a spin-off from my first one - and now I've nearly finished my fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love writing series. If I can get this current one off the ground, I have plans for it to be a several book series with the characters inter-connected.

    ReplyDelete