Wednesday, November 16, 2016

T is for Tunnel Vision

Paula asks, ‘How many stories can you work on at the same time?”   

Many writers can work on several different stories. When I was writing my very first novel (about 50 years ago!), I recall being able to write short stories at the same time. However, I now find I can only concentrate on one story at a time. In a sense, I develop ‘tunnel vision’ and can only ‘see’ the characters and plot in which I am currently involved. If I tried to switch between stories, I know I would ‘lose contact’ with my characters, and also with the continuity of the story.

While I am writing a story, I find I am completely immersed in the thoughts and feelings of the characters, and in the problems and conflicts they have to deal with. There is no way I could get myself involved in another set of characters and their problems, until I’ve sorted out the current ones! If I abandoned them, I'd have great difficulty in returning to them. 

I don’t think I can break away from my ‘tunnel vision’ but if you can work on more than one story at a time, I’d be interested to know how you do it! How do you abandon one story to deal with another? And how easy/difficult is it for you to return to a first story once you’ve become involved with a second story (or more)?

9 comments:

  1. I do it. The funny thing is it depends on the story as to whether or not I find it easy or a mistake! If the story requires some research, I tend to drift onto writing something else instead of immersing myself in research. If I have a problem in a story, I jump onto another one, rather than get bogged down sorting the problem out and often the solution just comes to me. I think it is because my mind keeps coming up with ideas and if I don't write them down, I lose them. I need to stay creative. My fictional worlds are an escape from my real world. My biggest problem is finishing them! I think I am scared that if I finish it, I will have to birth it into the world, and if people don't love it as much as I do it would be a real blow to my confidence, and that in turn will have a knock on effect on my writing :/
    Awen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awen, that's an interesting point about being scared to send a finished story into the world - but that's something we all have to do eventually. Not everyone will like our stories - but then not everyone likes J.K. Rowling's stories!

      Delete
  2. I'm usually a one-at-a-time gal myself. I might jot notes for another story if something comes to me, but generally I stick to writing one at a time. (I usually have enough trouble with just the one, let alone trying to juggle more characters and plots.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, Deb. Occasionally I'll jot something down about a possible future story, and I even wrote a prologue for one once - but that's as far it went!

      Delete
  3. I work on more than one at a time, but I separate it out. I work on one to write and another to edit. And I take a break between them (eat, run an errand, etc.) so that my mind clears. I actually find it helpful, especially as I have a tendency to reuse certain expressions or descriptions and when I see them in more than one place I make sure to get rid of them. I don't think I'd be able to write more than one at a time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I could even write one and edit another at the same time! My editing is an extension of my writing, and I think I need to focus even more on the characters and story when I'm editing. But that's a good point about spotting similar expressions etc in two different stories.

      Delete
  4. I do work on one at a time but other ideas keep interrupting!

    ReplyDelete