Thursday, December 3, 2009

What I'm working on

While I wait for a reply (ANY reply!) from the editors who have two of my novels (one for six months, the other for four months), I’m part way through a third.

I don’t really hold out much hope of the first two being accepted (by Harlequin/Mills and Boon), so I’ve been doing a serious edit of the second story – thanks to a lot of help, advice and suggestions from my excellent critique partners. Passive verbs are OUT, think active verbs; use adverbs sparingly; avoid starting sentences with ‘ing’ words; telling vs showing, etc. I really feel (and hope) that my writing has become tighter and faster as a result.

Once I’ve done the full edit of my second story, I’ll turn my attention to my first one and give it the same treatment.

2 comments:

  1. It's good that you have this kind of support, Paula. Not that you need it. However, I know sometimes my editor picks things up and especially about "showing"

    Hope you hear something soon.

    ReplyDelete