Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Best on Screen Romances


Best on Screen Romance

For me the ultimate romance is Casablanca. Bogart lets Bergman even though they are both madly in love. Cue, tears, isn’t it lovely to have a good cry. I always remember Love is a Many Splendored Thing, another great love story, when the Jennifer Jones character walks to the hill where she used to meet he lover, he’s been killed, yet she thinks she sees him there. Unforgettable.

Of course I could go on and on, who could forget An Affair to Remember, whenever this film is on I watch it. Sleepless in Seattle which was inspired by the aforementioned, oh yes have to watch it! All have such wonderful leads. The minor characters in these films are excellent too.

Off screen romance? Well my own must get a mention. I had thirty-eight happy years with my late husband. We met on a blind date; we laughed a lot on our first date. We laughed a lot through our life together too. John introduced me to many exciting things that I hadn’t known before. Camping, travelling, France! Oh yes, ours was an unforgettable romance too.

I love writing about romance, perhaps because I have experienced real life romance. I always somehow fall in love with my hero, which considering I have written twenty-four novels, must mean I am pretty fickle!

Michael in Bitter Betrayal was a man I couldn’t get out of my head. Both he and the heroine have been torn apart by some very spiteful people. Neither feels able to trust the other but there is still something there…a little spark that will not e extinguished. I think that must be what romance is all about – a spark that one day with burst into flame? What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. After that great spark, there has to be love, karma, compatibility, courage, strength and determination to stay together.
    Thirty-eight years proves you and your late husband had it all, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ana, what a lovely thing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy endings make us cry, sad endings make us cry - maybe all the great screen romances are destined to send the tears rolling down our cheeks. My own favourite 'sad' ending is Dr Zhivago and Lara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I like that...a spark that will one day burst into a flame. Nice.

    And congrats on thirty-eight years of marriage. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best all time onscreen romance: Scarlett & Rhett, followed by Kathy & Heathcliff. Love them both.

    ReplyDelete