Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Songs for Smiling Lovers

The first record I ever bought (and yes, this was in the days of the old 78rpms) was Johnny Mathis ‘A Certain Smile’ – I only have to hear the soaring intro and my skin breaks out in goosebumps. It brings back memories from the late 1950s of the ‘certain smile’ with which I will always connect it (but I’m not telling you anything more about that!).
However, it’s a perfect song for a romance writer!
A certain smile, a certain face,
Can lead an unsuspecting heart
On a merry chase.
A fleeting glance can say
So many lovely things.
Suddenly you know why my heart sings


Jump forward 50+ years, and the last CD I bought was an album by the British tenor, Alfie Boe, who is a relatively new discovery for me. Although he’s been singing for many years, it’s only fairly recently that he’s become nationally well-known. Fabulous voice, and a rather nice looking guy too! Here he is singing O Sole Mio/It’s Now or Never at the recent Jubilee concert in front of Buckingham Palace (and if you’re quick, you’ll spot Prince William and Kate!).

Again, perfect for romance!
When I first saw you
with your smile so tender
My heart was captured,
my soul surrendered.
I'd spend a lifetime
waiting for the right time
Now that you're near
the time is here at last.

(All together now...
It's Now or Never...)


After I’d written this, I realised that both my song choices emphasise smiles - so is it any wonder that my heroes always have great smiles? Sometimes with dimples, sometimes with quirky grins, sometimes amused, sometimes tender, and definitely HOT!

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh. I love those dimpled smiles.

    And, another ooooh, I'll have to watch the video for my glimpse of William and Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom is a big fan of Johnny Mathis. I probably will recognize the song. The other one I've never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of Alfie until a couple of years ago, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I have both heard of, and heard Alfie. Can't say What's it all about..? now. A cheery post Paula, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Nancy - hope you liked hearing Alfie!

    ReplyDelete