Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Zero To Sixty

Last week, I wrote about the timing problem I found in my manuscript. I’ve spent the week revising and fixing that issue, but while doing that, I found something else. Actually, my critique partner did.

I had her read the first six or ten chapters because I knew I needed to add a few scenes; I just didn’t know exactly what needed to be added. I was hoping she could tell me what needed to be fleshed out.

You know when you read something you’ve written and you like it but you’re also like, “hmm, I’m not sure about this”? Well, I knew there was a problem, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. That’s why having a critique partner is so great.

She saw what the problem was immediately—I’d rushed the hero and heroine getting together. Zero to sixty is great for a car; less so for a hero and heroine who are developing a relationship.

So, as I’ve been reviewing my manuscript for the timing issue, I’ve also slowed down their meeting, liking and falling in love. Not to where it drags, but I’ve added a bit more tension, more wanting, more conflict. I hope readers like it and don’t find it slows down the pacing—I’ll be checking again with my critique partner for that problem.


But I think I’m on the right track.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a great critique partner there, Jen! Developing a relationship is a matter of finding that line between too rushed and too slow.
    I had a similar problem in the novel I've been struggling with for ages. With mine, my 'gut instinct' was telling me the whole progress from meeting to admitting they had fallen for each other was too long and drawn out. Not sure yet how I'm going to resolve that, although I've already cut or shortened some scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's my worry, that now I've made it too long. But I'm continuing and figure I can always shorten again later. Eventually, I have to submit before they forget about me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fresh eyes are wonderful helpers, Jen. Timing the get-together of lovers is the core of romance, I think.
    I'm glad you have a good crit partner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh eyes are wonderful helpers, Jen. Timing the get-together of lovers is the core of romance, I think.
    I'm glad you have a good crit partner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love critique sessions. Someone who's an 'outsider' to the story can see so many things we, as a completely involved and immersed author, can't.

    Glad you're on the right track now! That's always a good feeling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete