Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I'm Hosting A Book Birthday!


I was at a loss for words yesterday. I know, those who know me will roll their eyes. I’m rarely at a loss for words and can usually be counted on the crack some snarky comment or two about something.

But yesterday, as I was preparing to write my personal blog entry, I had nothing to say. Actually, scratch that. I had a lot to say, but sometimes, silence is better. So I was scrambling for a topic to write and came across the writer’s prompt for a Facebook group I belong to.

The topic was “Birthdays.” As I sat staring at my blank computer screen, trying to figure out what to write and worrying about all my book activities I have to get done in the next few weeks (October is a really busy time for me), I realized that one of my books has a birthday coming up.

A book birthday. If you don’t believe your book is your baby, which I really don’t, it seems a bit odd to celebrate a book birthday. However, I know lots of writers who do just that. And as I started thinking about it, I started having some interesting ideas. Being the well-trained writer that I am, I started writing them down (I mean, I was sitting at my computer!).

And I think I’ve come up with a pretty good marketing idea for my book. This is a book I’ve gotten great feedback from, yet the sales are pretty weak. I wasn’t able to properly market it when it first came out, so the fault lies squarely with me. So having a book birthday for it seems like a good plan.

I’m going to do some giveaways—the book is about a makeup artist, so I’m thinking a basket of makeup goodies, maybe a massage gift card, and even perhaps a signed copy. I’m asking writer and reader friends with blogs to host me during the month of November, and for those with Facebook and Twitter accounts to share and re-tweet me as much as possible during that time. Hopefully, I’ll generate a lot of interest in the book. And, since the heroine is a survivor of domestic violence, I’m trying to work out a tie in to donate money to a local shelter.

Now all I need to do is come up with a way to incorporate birthday cake!

So, what do you think? Have you celebrated book birthdays before? I’d love to hear your thoughts. And of course, if you’d like to participate in mine, I’d love you to join me! 

6 comments:

  1. This is a great idea,. Original, too. I've not heard of a book birthday bash. Let's have one here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did an anniversary give-away of 'His Leading Lady' on its 2nd 'birthday' last June. It didn't result in any extra sales, but maybe you'll be luckier than I was in that respect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm hoping to make it last the entire month, so hopefully it will work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never done it, but a book birthday sounds like a great idea for a marketing plan. I love how you're tying in the theme of the book with the goodies you'll give away.

    If you're looking for a blog stop, I'd be happy to host you at my other blog to help you celebrate.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Paula, and I'd love to, Debra. Let me know a date that works for you (in November).

    ReplyDelete