Tuesday, June 3, 2014

I Did It!

Jennifer spoke to Hadassah...

Last week, I wrote about a speech I was giving to a Hadassah chapter (a Jewish women’s group) about my book. The speech, “How A Nice Jewish Girl Became A Romance Writer,” was last night and I had so much fun!

An old friend of mine arranged for me to give the speech. She and I served on numerous committees at my temple prior to her moving to another part of the state. I joined her and her husband for dinner at their home prior to the speech, where we caught up on news and she filled me in on the group to whom I’d be speaking.

She brought me over a little early, which gave me a chance to meet several of the women and to set up a small table of my books and postcards. Then it was time for the meeting to start. They took care of organizational business and then Patty introduced me.

Surprisingly, I was not nervous. There were about 50 people there, maybe more, but I didn’t know any of them, other than Patty, so I think that helped. In any case, I didn’t forget to breathe.

They laughed in all the right places and most of them looked as if they enjoyed listening. I'm always nervous when speaking to a large group of women, because I know not everyone is interested in the topic, but either I held their attention or they were really polite. :)

Afterwards, I answered questions for about ten minutes and then many of the women came up to me to talk to me. I sold many books and some of them plan to contact me for other speaking engagements.


I can’t wait!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you, Jen. You had fun and sold books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, How fun! I'd totally count that as a double-success. No nerves AND you sold books! There's nothing better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Hope you get lots more speaking opportunities now!

    ReplyDelete