Thursday, April 2, 2015

M is for Merry Christmas (and Mixed Up!)

Debra is two rounds into holiday edits.

Outside, spring is springing. Tulip and daffodil leaves are peeking out of the soil. The grass is getting green in spots. The weather is warming up. (Not quite as warm as the Caribbean, but that's another story...) It was nice enough yesterday to take a drive with the top down on my convertible.

Inside, however, snow is falling. Wreathes decorate doors. Presents are being wrapped. And candy canes, not jelly beans, are the candy of choice.

My seasons are definitely mixed up at the moment. But that's okay, because I'm in the second round of edits for Christmas at The Corral. The title will release for the holiday season later this year. And when I write a holiday story, I like to pile on the holiday cheer. I've read so-called Christmas stories that if it weren't for the word 'Christmas' in the title, I really would have no idea they were supposed to be holiday stories. People won't ever make that mistake with a holiday story of mine. I include as many cozy, holiday details as possible. I want my readers to feel as though they are immersed in the holiday, experiencing it for themselves.

In Christmas at The Corral there's holiday music playing at the bar, poinsettias decorate the tables, the bar mirror is draped with holly and garland. My hero and heroine cut down a Christmas tree and decorate it. A light dusting of snow covers the ground, and Main Street is decked out with twinkle lights. I've even used Christmas references to compare things when I'm in my heroine's POV: Like...The euphoria and aura of contentment from their dance vanished quicker than fifty percent off Christmas items from the shelves on December 26. Or...The scent of his aftershave sent her pulse skittering like Santa's reindeer on a slippery roof.

We have a tentative tag line of: Is the magic of Christmas enough to bring two reluctant hearts together?

I have more holiday stories planned for this series (Fourth of July, Valentine's Day, Halloween, New Year's Eve) and you can be sure they'll be as chock full of holiday references as this one. It's just the way I roll. :)

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

6 comments:

  1. Keep on rolling, that's what I say, Debra. I love stories that draw you in to whatever season it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being drawn in is definitely good. I've been reading a new cozy mystery that I'm not too sure about yet. I'll give it a few more chapters before deciding if I'm going to throw in the towel or not.

      Delete
  2. Holidays are fantastic settings, Debra. Lots of emotions, expectations, hopes, nerves, magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a lot of emotions in play during the holidays.

      Delete
  3. Holiday themed books always seem popular, Debra, so your idea of a series sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holiday stories definitely do tend to have a built-in audience. And you can promote them year after year...

      Delete