Friday, April 10, 2015

N is for Nightmare

Margaret talks about writing nightmares

We all suffer from nightmares – to a varying degree. We wake up in the middle of the night sweating, relieved to find it was no more than a bad dream.

As writers our worst nightmare is that we’ll never be able to write again. Our mind has gone blank. The words won’t come. What do we do about it?

One solution is to simply write. Write, write, write. Write anything that comes into your head even if it’s a load of rubbish. The very act of writing releases a trigger that allows the right thoughts and words to come through. It sounds crazy, I know, but it has worked for me on the few occasions I’ve been stuck for an idea. I’ve then crossed out the rubbishy first part and got on with the story.

Or – another nightmare – what if no-one likes your book after you’ve spent all that time writing it? What if every editor you send it to declines to accept it? What do you do then? Sit in a corner and cry? No! You learn by your mistakes, sharpen up your writing and get down to another book. I guess I was fortunate in that I had only one book rejected and it certainly didn’t stop me writing. And it shouldn’t stop you. These are short-term disappointments that should make you all the more determined to achieve success. Otherwise what was the point of writing in the first place?

Do let me know about your failures and achievements.

9 comments:

  1. I sent off to agents the two stories I am currently revising and received two scathing (to me) rejections. I've learned a lot of craft since then, but still have nightmares about getting my story right before I send it out again.
    Achievement: I'm still writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the best way to go, Ana. Disappointments should never get us down but make us all the more determined to succeed. I'll keep mt fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wallow for about an hour and then shake it off and keep plugging away. And commiserate with my other writer friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we now have FB friends we can commiserate with, Jennifer. It was a very lonely job in my early days of writing.

      Delete
  4. I confess I gave up writing novels for about 20 years, not because of any rejection, but because I really felt my 'muse' had deserted me. She returned about 10 years ago when I started writing fanfiction. Now finishing each new novel is an achievement in itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your 'muse' has come back, Paula. I've not read any of your early novels but if they're anything like your Irish books then you ought to update them and re-publish.

      Delete
    2. Not sure any of them would update, Margaret. The world has changed so much since the 1960s!

      Delete
  5. It certainly is nice to have others to share our writing nightmares with. Writing can be a lonely business, and it's nice to know there are others along for the ride...during the good times and the bad times.

    ReplyDelete