Thursday, April 30, 2015

Q is for Quintessential Moments

Debra takes a look at the important parts of a story.

“There are several quintessential moments in a man’s life: losing his virginity, getting married, becoming a father, and having the right girl smile at you.” Kirby Keger - St. Elmo's Fire

For me, here are the quintessential moments in a story:

First meeting (or reunion if the characters have been apart).

First kiss.

First love scene.

Internal I love you moment. (When either of the characters realize he/she loves the other.) This could coincide with the internal I love you moment.

Second love scene. (If applicable.) Characters are in a different place emotionally with this one.

External I love you moment. (When those three little words are said out loud.) This could coincide with the external I love you moment.

Obviously, this is extremely simplified, but I think it hits the major turning points and emotional zingers in a story.

Would you add anything else? Take something away? Depending on the 'heat' level of your story, the loves scenes might not apply.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Debra. These are definitely the emotional key points.
    I would add the moments when it comes clear why the lovers can't be together at key points in the story. Certainly the black moment, when all they've struggled through isn't enough. Also the first plot point (twists) when external pressures force them to interact, and the second plot twist when one or both realize how much they will have to compromise or sacrifice to help the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Ana. I guess I was focusing on the HEA moments and totally forgot about the tension and conflict that needs to happen first.

      Delete
  2. Don't you just love the word Quinessential. The quintessential gentleman springs to mind. An old-fashioned gentleman. Not than any of my heroes are old-fashioned. There's certainly nothing I can add to your post, Debra. As Anna says, a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you hit the main ones, Debra. I might add one: if there's a point in the story where the hero or heroine demonstrates why the other can't live without them, or why their life is so much better with the other in it. But I love the ones you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, maybe that's the 'demonstrative I love you'...without saying the actual words. Nice.

      Delete
  4. Excellent list, Debra. As Ana says, the 'black moment' is also an emotional key point, and I think I'd also include the moment when they beat all the odds stacked against them and re-unite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great addition to the list. This is why it's such a good idea to keep company with other writers! I'm always learning something new and expanding my horizons.

      Thanks, ladies!

      Delete