Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Pantser, Plotter or a Little of Both?

As I’ve mentioned many times before, I’m a pantser, not a plotter. I don’t work from outlines; I don’t plot out every detail of my story before I write it. I sit down, look at a blank page and let my characters talk to me.

Hopefully, they’ve started talking before I get to the computer. I get some of my best ideas, and hear my characters talking the loudest, right before I fall asleep. I’ve learned to keep something by my bed to take down notes so I don’t forget what they’ve said the next morning.

But lately, I’m not hearing those characters talking as much as I usually do. It could be that I’ve been busy editing one completed manuscript and writing another. It could be other stressors in my life. It could just be a dry spell. We all get them. It’s not a big deal. I find the best way to work through them is to just relax and let it pass on its own.

However, it has gotten me thinking. I’ve been thinking I wish I was a plotter. I’m not. I can’t write off an outline to save my life. But I have taken some of those techniques and adapted them to my writing life.

After I write a first draft, I outline what I wrote. At least, I do when I remind myself to be organized. It’s helpful to find my way through the manuscript, to know where I put what, and to recognize areas that need to be further developed. It’s also helpful with timelines, which I’m notoriously bad at developing. And it’s great for writing a synopsis.

I’ve also started keeping character sheets to remind myself what each one looks like. You wouldn’t think it’s so hard to remember, but for some reason, I find it hard to keep eye color and hair color and other characteristics straight. Creating a document with everything on it makes it easier.


So I think at some point, I might become a combination plotter/pantser. For now, I’m doing whatever works and making an effort to be more organized. I’ll let you know how it goes!

10 comments:

  1. I started out a panther and found I wrote myself into sagging middles and dead ends because I didn't have a good sense of my plot's turning points. I'm not a natural storyteller. Individually my scenes were fun, but I needed an overall story arc to follow. I doubt I'll ever be able to plot an entire story out in great detail. I'm not sure that would be fun. But I'm wandering less with a general road map for my WIP's.

    I think of it as planning a trip. I get where I want to go without unproductive detours or wrong turns and have more time to enjoy delightful meals, comfy hotels, grand vistas, fun shopping, and rendezvous with the hunky cabana boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good analogy, but I've found that the unexpected detours can sometimes take you to the best part of the journey (or the story!)

      Delete
  2. I can't work from a detailed chapter-by-chapter outline like some people can, but when I start a story, I have a 'vague' idea of where I want it go, and know (or think I know!) some of the main turning points. However, my characters often have other ideas!
    I'm sure you'll get through your dry spell. Must admit, in your situation, I'd concentrate on editing the completed ms. instead of trying to write another story at the same time. That's maybe because I find it difficult to get involve with two stories and two sets of characters at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm not starting a new one at this point. I've done the edits on the one that's with my agent and while I wait for her to get back to me, I'm continuing writing Book 3. It's not that I want to start writing anything else, I just don't like being without ideas or inspiration.

      Delete
    2. I think the ideas/inspiration will come in time. Something you see or hear will trigger an idea in your mind!

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely a panster. I can't plot because I generally have no idea where the story's going. It's so much more interesting that way, don't you think? Although I do have to rein my characters in sometimes if they go off at a tangent that doesn't suit the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, discovering what the characters have planned is always interesting, Margaret.

      Delete
  4. I definitely fall more toward the pantster side of things in general. I have been known to jot a few notes for general overall story ideas. Once or twice I've come close to an outline format, but nothing rally formal. I definitely prefer to fly by the seat of my pant and see where my characters take me.

    When I'm in the middle of a story, I do have paper and pen next to my bed, because those ideas do sometimes come at night.

    I, too, do more of an outline after I've finished a first draft. This helps me to see where there are holes in the story and make sure there is continuity. Later it helps me write my synopsis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have very similar writing methods, Debra.

      Delete