Wednesday, April 22, 2015

P is for Perspective

Paula looks at how we ‘see’ our stories.

Does a scene play out in front of you, as if you are watching it on a stage?

Or are you performing a role in that play?

The perspective from which we write our stories can be crucial to how our readers relate to the characters and scenes we create.

If we write what we see and hear on that stage e.g. who walks where and who says what etc, our readers may be able to relate to those actions and words, and even to the emotions of the characters. However, we (and they) are one step removed. We’re in the audience, watching from a distance.

Instead of sitting in a comfortable seat in the auditorium, I think we need to get up on that stage ourselves and – yes, get into character, just as an actor does.

If, for example, we’re in the heroine’s POV, we need her perspective on everything that is happening. We’re not listening to her words, we’re saying those words ourselves. We’re looking at everything through her eyes, and, perhaps even more important, we’re feeling everything she feels. This, to me, is going much deeper than simply writing from a character’s POV about what she does, says, thinks, and feels.

Once we adopt this perspective, the reader’s perspective will also change. He/she will no longer be watching from a distance, but will become a part of the scene, and will feel involved in the actions, thoughts, and feelings of our characters. So get up on that stage, and ‘become’ your hero or heroine.

10 comments:

  1. I find it easier to do "watching," but I think you are absolutely correct.
    I was never a good actor, though. Got any tips on how to do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana, I was trying to explain this to someone the other day (hence this idea for my post today!), but I'm not sure how I actually do it, as it seems to come 'naturally' to me when I'm writing. I'm not a good actor, either, but when I'm on my own here in my study, I can pretend I am! Maybe it's a bit like those games we used to play as kids like 'doctors and nurses' when we slip into a role as we play. In the same way I'm 'play-acting' a role as I write.

      Delete
  2. Deep POV (which is what you're describing) is important so the reader can relate to the story and doesn't experience that distance you mentioned. But I do think there needs to be a balance of some sort--you can't stay in deep POV the entire time, at least I don't think you should. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm probably in Deep POV most of the time for each of my main characters. Even if I'm describing a scene or a room (etc), I'm still seeing it through the eyes of the character.

      Delete
  3. Getting INTO your characters is super important in developing deep POV and emotionally relatable characters.
    I often try to think of what my body would be doing in I were in a particular situation. Would my heart be pounding? My palms sweating? Would I have my brow furrowed? Internal and external 'body language' is a great way to dig deep.

    But, my editor always warns me not to overdo: use a variety of responses, and don't always focus on the same things. In one book apparently my heroine's heart was doing so many things she should have been in cardiac arrest. And butterflies in the stomach are always overdone. Try finding unique phrasing, perhaps even related to your characters' occupations. How would they describe the feeling as a doctor? Teacher? Architect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same, Debra! And I agree abut not overdoing the same reactions. I had the same problem with the heart of one of my heroines. I can recommend 'The Emotion Thesaurus' for a variety of physical, internal, and mental reactions to different emotions.

      Delete
    2. So do I. Worth every penny :-)

      Delete
  4. I was offline all day yesterday, but what an interesting topic, Paula. I guess I subconsciously put myself into my heroine's mind when I describe feelings and reactions. There are not many thigns I consciously do. Perhaps it's because I've been writing for so long it's become second nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm the same as you, Margaret. I don't have to think about Deep POV, because it's something I do (and have always done) automatically!

      Delete