Friday, October 2, 2015

M is for Mind Maps

 
Margaret talks about the workings of the mind

A writer’s mind never stops working. We can be in the middle of a dinner party when an idea strikes and afraid of forgetting it we scribble it down on our napkin - or the notebook you always carry around just in case!  Or even use the voice recorder on your phone! I had no such luxury when I started writing but I did have a notebook that went everywhere with me.
I once read an article about mind maps – where you write down an idea or character in the middle of a large piece of paper drawing a circle around it. Then you draw lines out from the circle with more ideas, circling these in turn as you go. The idea is to write quickly. This method can also be used to develop characters, though I have to confess I’ve never actually done it myself.

But our minds also work while we’re asleep. More than once I’ve woken up in the middle of the night with a solution to a writing problem but have been too tired to write it down – even though I have a pencil and pad beside my bed. Annoyingly the next morning it’s gone, I can’t remember it. I give out advice to jot ideas down the moment they occur and yet sometimes fail to follow it myself. Perhaps writing this now will be a reminder to me!

It is wonderful, though, how the mind works, sometimes solving problems without us consciously thinking about them. What are your experiences?

 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Margaret, I love mind maps! During my teaching days, I have the students create mind maps of their prospective careers. Great way to stimulate right-brain thinking. Joanne :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess, Joanne, that I have never used them myself. I create lots of notes before I begin a book but not in the same way. Perhaps I should give it a try.

      Delete
  2. I remember using mind maps in Girl Guide training sessions, but have never used them for my stories. I do make notes before and also while I'm writing, especially when I realise I need to change something earlier in the story, but don't want to go back to at that moment. That is happening a lot with my current WIP, so even when the first draft is done, I'll still have a lot more work to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Paula, I make notes when I don't want to go back, otherwise I lose the flow.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of mind maps. Very interesting.
    If I am stuck writing, I give permission (ask my mind) to come up with solutions by morning. Usually it does, and I am thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that your mind comes up with answers during the night. It happens to me occasionally but not very often.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of the mind map. I get a lot of my ideas while I'm out walking the dog, so I've a dictation app on my phone that I speak into so I remember it when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It proves writer's minds never shut off. I like the idea of the dictation app on your phone, no one would ever know you weren't talking to someone.

      Delete
  5. I have a notebook by my bed and in my purse for those moments when inspiration strikes.

    We do mapping like that at school to work with different concepts and ideas. I never really thought about using it for my writing. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete