Saturday, October 17, 2015

O is for Oxymorons

We're delighted to welcome guest Joanne Guidoccio back to Heroines with Hearts!

I collect oxymorons—or to be more technically correct, oxymora—and like to pepper my conversations with same difference, random order, and open secret. When I use less common oxymora such as planned spontaneity, controlled chaos, clean dirt, and pontificatory salvos, I enjoy watching the puzzled expressions on the faces of listeners who wonder whether they should laugh or not.



But I was taken aback by the yoga oxymoron that appeared in the pages of my cozy mystery, A Season for Killing Blondes.

While creating a character sketch of protagonist Gilda Greco, I decided to include her interest in yoga. I had originally intended for yoga instructor Jean Taylor to be a minor character, but she decided to misbehave, and in doing so, found herself embroiled in a murder investigation.

In the early chapters, we hear only positive comments about the calm and thoughtful yoga instructor who lights candles and radiates kindness and goodness. She takes an active interest in the lives of her students and goes out of her way to make them feel welcome and at ease in her classes. Able to effectively lead classes of five or thirty, Jean supports a spontaneous, intuitive style of teaching. Quietly, she works the room, letting each of her students know she is watching and paying attention to their moves while stopping to give a gentle nudge, a firm adjustment, or a high-five.

And she thinks nothing of extending that positive energy beyond the walls of her yoga studio.

Weeks before the opening of Gilda’s ReCareering office, Jean researched and ordered a River Rock Lucky Bamboo plant. Unable to restrain herself, Jean gushed to everyone about the three symbols—wealth, happiness, longevity—inherent in each plant.

Without giving too much away, I’ll say that Jean experienced an abrupt change of plans when she decided to personally deliver the plant on the eve of Gilda’s Open House. Thrown off kilter, she retreats to her aunt’s cottage and resurfaces several days later in an altered state.

Short excerpt...

“Stay out of my life, bitch!” A blast of cool air accompanied a loud, vaguely familiar voice. Jean Taylor stood in the doorway, clutching a pair of scissors in her hands. The normally well-groomed yogini wore baggy gray sweats. Her blonde hair hung in disarray and looked like it hadn’t been washed in days. Jean’s angry eyes surveyed the room, and then she walked briskly toward the bamboo plant. She savagely cut the stalks and threw them on the floor. “May you have decades of bad luck.” She slammed the door and ran out.

A yoga instructor with anger management issues – Could she have murdered four blondes?


Amazon: http://is.gd/jADjPp
Website: http://joanneguidoccio.com/

I certainly love cozies and can't wait to read this one. Thanks for guesting with us again, Joanne. It's always so nice to 'see' you here! :)

15 comments:

  1. Wow, a secret dark side! I think of yoga instructors as being miles ahead of me on the path to enlightenment. I thought dead end side routes would be fewer and farther between. This story sounds like a great read!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana, Most of the yoga instructors I've met "appear" to be more enlightened. But, as we all know, that dark side of human nature does exist even in the most enlightened. Thanks for dropping by. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Joanne, Welcome back to Heroines with Hearts! I can't wait to read your cozy. I saw it gathered a bunch of nice reviews at TWRP. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, I'm grateful for those lovely reviews and hope you enjoy reading A Season for Killing Blondes. Have a great weekend. :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome back to HWH, Joanne. Whoa, I'm fascinated by your cozy mystery. Can't wait to read it. I love developing complex characters with multiple sides to their personality. Congratulations and good luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, Great to be back! Love the look and feel of this "cozy" blog. Jean Taylor has many layers to her personality, and I intend to unravel them in the sequel. :)

      Delete
  4. That makes a fascinating oxymoron, Joanne - two very different sides to her personality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula! While I consciously collect oxymorons, I'm delighted when they appear unexpectedly. :)

      Delete
  5. I love this shadow side. Well done Joanne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that you expect a yoga instructor to be sweetness and light. :) Great excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angelina, When I write fiction, I like to shatter expectations. And I like to read books that do the same. Thanks for dropping by. :)

      Delete
  7. Shatter expectations? It's not something I consciously do. It might be interesting to think about it, though. An interesting excerpt, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete