Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Perspective

Jennifer gets--and gives--advice...

My critique group and I met this weekend. Over dinner, we talked about the industry and asked each other’s advice about marketing and potential projects we were considering.

All four of us bring different perspectives to the group. I publish with a small press and am fairly new to the writing world. One woman has self pubbed one book and is working on her second. One woman is published with an Amazon imprint and also self pubs. One woman writes women’s fiction, self pubs and also has a back list that was pubbed by large publishers.

Usually I just sit and listen. I’m the newbie and I’m soaking everything in. It’s fascinating to listen to everyone talk about what they’re doing, how they’re marketing, what techniques are working, or not.

We discussed tsu and I know I’ve decided to let that social network go for the time being. It’s too new and I don’t fully understand it enough to believe that it has any worth at this time. We discussed discounting our books and I hope to offer my first book in the Women of Valor series for free when my third one is coming out, as an incentive (still have to talk to my publisher about that though, so don’t hold me to it)—the freebies benefit authors the most when there are other books that the reader can buy. We talked about which conferences we plan to attend, and I’m hoping to go to RWA’s National Convention in July. It’s in New York this year, so it’s an easy trip for me.


As I’ve said in countless blogs before this one, critique groups are great. But the added perspective that this one brings from four very different but talented women makes this one unique, I think.

6 comments:

  1. I've heard of tsu, but don't think it has many members yet. I have reservations about offering books for free (apart from contests etc). You may get a lot of downloads, but as I'm not sure readers go on to buy your other books at full price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that's my issue as well. But perhaps it might work for a short period of time 3-5 days. I still have to think about it.

      Delete
  2. I guess I was one of the fortunate ones. When the third book in my series was free, I did get a lot of downloads, but it also boosted sales on the other books in the series. The quarter in which the freebie was released was my best ever as a published author for actual sales.

    I know that's not always the norm, though. TWRP has stopped offering their new books for free (For a while all new releases were for a week on Amazon) because across the board it doesn't always add up to more sales. I think if you do it every so often, it can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Debra. Glad it worked for you.

      Delete
  3. I've read that authors are going to tau, but are readers? And there are potentially serious (I've read) downsides to tsu. I'm still learning Facebook and Pinterest. That's all I can manage with my new website.

    I'm so glad your critique group is working. I'd love to attend RWA in NYC. I could stay with my daughter. Trouble is, that's peak u-pick raspberry season, and my granddaughters are just 7 and 10, too young to manage it by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, tsu is scaring me a bit, so I'm avoiding it for now.

      Delete