Saturday, November 28, 2015

Guest Author Kathryn Robson

Please welcome our guest author, Kathryn Robson, a fellow author from Rebel Ink Press.

Writing is not something I ever consciously thought about doing. When I was at school, my friends and I would get together and compose short stories, generally  gruesome horror/thrillers in which most and all of our teachers came to horrible, sudden deaths. Or I would write out fantasies I spun in my head just before going to sleep. In all these books the characters were always 100% based on people I knew, with me in the main roll. An easy and fun way to write, as you know first hand how everyone will react to certain situations and the storyline almost tells itself. I never shared these with anyone, but I still have them tucked away in the attic somewhere.
I read a lot of different books, I like crime and detective books, I like historic novels and any Scify, Fantasy or Fiction book is fine as well, it always depends what mood I am in. Do I want something easy, more evolved or so fast paced I can not put it down until I have finished it?
I do not like and will never read books based in tragedy and death, they are just not my thing, life is hard enough as it is, I do not need to read about other peoples horrors of loosing a child ect.

I really started getting into Ya books when my son started reading seriously around age 9 ( he is now 14) . I found I had the need to know what he was reading, so would pre read the books and then hand them on to him where appropriate. And as he is an avid reader, there are few fiction Ya books we have not read together. The idea for a different spin on the whole Vampire Legend played around in the back of my mind for months, and like before at a child, I would write a chapter a night - purely in my mind - just before I fell asleep, until I had the whole book mapped out in my head.
It is the first book I have written start to finish and the first one to have published and I am so very excited about it and can not wait to hear what everyone thinks about it.
I could have easily written it as an adult fiction, put more gore and adult content into it, but I choose to keep it suitable for my teenage children to read, as I wrote it for myself and for them. 

Bio: 
Kathryn Robson is the author of Golden, a supernatural fiction novel. Born in Scotland, raised in America and Germany she now lives with her Family in Wales, Uk. She is the owner of 2 clothes stores and when she is not trying on her own merchandise, she is busy wrangling her three boys and trying to find time to write her second book.

Blurb:

When everything you know about the world to be true is a lie. 

When the monster under the bed is suddenly staring back at you in the mirror. 

Who do you save and who do you kill? 

Today is the day. 

It's Amy's 18th birthday. 

Her bags are packed and she’s ready to leave. A quick dash to collect her grandfather’s trust fund and she’s out of here. More importantly, she’s out of reach of her abusive stepfather's filthy hands. 

But Andras has other plans and soon Amy finds herself in a whole new world of trouble. As she races to find out the truth about herself, she’s confronted with one certainty… 

She’s the only person standing between the Demons she fled from and the boy she loves. 

Until she finds out she may be harbouring the scariest monster of them all

Excerpt from Golden:
"Bye, and thanks for breakfast." I called after him, while already searching for my keys in my bag.
"Anytime."  
I could hear his footsteps as he walked away, then they stopped and came back. I glanced up from fiddling in my bag to see him studying me, a look on his face as if he had just decided something he wasn’t too sure about.
"The people don't move away from you because they are polite." 
His eyes again, where pulling mine in, like sinking, more intense than before making my heart beat faster. Involuntarily I took a step closer, almost touching him. Something so out of character for me I was shocked at my own reaction to him. I forced my eyes away and looked down.
"Amy," his voice sounded a bit unsteady.
"They move away because they were born with the common sense to be scared of you,"
and in a lighter tone he added, "and of course because your eyes glow in the dark!"
My heart stopped, words already formed got stuck in my throat and I looked up.
But he was gone.
I fumbled my keys in the lock and rushed up the stairs to my room. I dropped my bag on the floor, conscious not to turn the lights on. I went straight to the mirror above my chest of drawers and looked into a pair of brightly glowing eyes.
A strangers eyes.
My eyes. 

Link to amazon:


And Blog

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to HWH, Kathryn! Gorgeous cover. And your excerpt is intriguing. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathryn

    Welcome to Heroines with Hearts.

    I'm a big fan of the vampire genre...adult or YA, so your book sounds like the perfect fit for me!

    Congrats on your first release! It's such an amazing feeling, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, you may well enjoy this, takes a slightly different spin on everything vampire... and I can't wait to discuss it with people !

      Delete
  3. Welcome to HWH, Kathryn, and congrats on your first release. Fiction has certainly changed a lot since I was in my teens (a long time ago!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I bet I have read most of them, I tend to reach back quite far when looking for books, probably from scrounging through my parents bookshelves. I love Anne McCaffrey, have you read her? If you know any addictive ones, I am all ear, can never have to much to read !

      Delete
  4. I love your cover! Your story line sounds intriguing, too. Has your son read Golden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think so ! He is half way through, I started writing it years ago, and would not let him read it until it was finished, but now he is 14 and his kindle has gotten a bit dusty, so he actually started it on Friday (mum stop nagging!) . Him and his friends did however have loads of input in the blurb (they had to read every trial version) and he helped choose the cover, which I love too. I hope you have the time to read it, I want to hear what people think that are not my friends, if you know what I mean...

      Delete