Friday, November 27, 2015

U is for undisciplined


Margaret talks about being disciplined as a writer

 It’s difficult being disciplined when you’re working from home but for a writer, or anyone who works from home for that matter, it is vitally important. It’s no good saying you’ll make your start in an hour or so, or even tomorrow because tomorrow never comes.
 
I make a rule of beginning work each day as soon as breakfast is over and the household chores done. I treat my writing as a job and virtually work office hours. It probably comes from the fact that when I first started writing I was also working – I worked for a small company and my boss was out a lot, therefore there was time when I had nothing to do. I used to read – but then an idea popped into my head for a story - and so it began.

I kept the discipline up when I left my job to become a full-time writer and although I’m now of the age when most people have retired I can’t see myself ever doing that. I do sometimes work less hours, or even take a day off to spend time with my long-suffering husband, but writing is still my passion, my pleasure and my life.

The dictionary definition of undisciplined is – not controlled, not trained to obey. So in effect I’ve trained myself to do the very opposite – and I can only do it if I enjoy it. Which I do. I love meeting my characters, giving them lives of their own, giving them problems, solving them. Creating the HEA.

Is your life disciplined or undisciplined?

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. It seems old habits die hard, Margaret! I still do most of my writing in the evening because that was what I used to do when I was working and unlike you, couldn't do any writing during the day. In that sense ( I suppose I am disciplined, but sometimes I don't feel very disciplined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I managed to do my writing at work when I first started. Working for a small company had its benefits.

      Delete
  2. I find I have to be disciplined because otherwise, it's too easy to get distracted. So whether I want to or not, I force myself to write every day. Usually, once I get started I'm happy to be doing it. But the book isn't getting written if I don't treat it like an essential part of my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Jennifer. I always say to my husband, "I'm going to work now." Because, as you say, that's what it is, it's what we do. We just don't have to travel to do it.

      Delete
  3. I always say I would have a heck of a time working from home. I have managed to create somewhat of a writing routine for myself when I'm in the flow of a story, but I tend to be a 'wanderer' if I'm home on my own. I find way too many things to distract me. I definitely fall into the undisciplined category.

    I work way better on anything with a firm deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No two people are the same, Debra. Deadlines are good, though, they do propel you forward. I've sometimes given myself deadlines even if I haven't needed them. I've always had a study where I can shut myself away, and my window is high so there are no distractions.

    ReplyDelete