Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Revising

Paula describes her revision process

Having finally ‘finished’ my WIP about forty-five minutes before my self-imposed deadline of the end of October, I’ve now started on the revision and editing process. Some people advise putting the manuscript to one side for a week or more, so you can come back to it with fresh eyes. However, with this story, I’ve held back from making various changes in the early chapters (necessitated by later events in the story) and so I was anxious to start putting the whole story straight.

Here’s my revision process:

I start with a detailed chapter revision, firstly to add essential information or delete irrelevant details, and then to tidy up my writing and get rid of what I know are my ‘repeat’ words. I also try to tighten my writing, which often involves rephrasing sentences and sometimes whole paragraphs. This is where an online thesaurus can come in useful. There are times when I can ‘feel’ for a word I can’t quite find in my mind. I enter the word nearest to my ‘feeling’ and may spend a long time searching for synonyms, and even synonyms of synonyms, until I finally the ‘right’ word.

After this, I put the chapter through ‘Autocrit Wizard’. You already know how much I rely on this online programme, which can highlight many style issues from pacing to repetition, and from adverbs to redundant words. Autocrit always surprises me. I may think I have ‘edited’ a chapter, but it always shows me so many things I have missed, and so I rewrite, revise, and re-edit again. Rewriting a chapter like this can take at least two days, and often more.

At this point, I send my chapter to my critique partners, and wait with bated breath for their replies. It’s always useful to have their comments. Sometimes it may be a word or phrase suggestion, or a ‘British-ism’ that Americans may not understand; other times it can be a longer query, maybe something that isn’t clear, or something I’ve over-explained, or some important detail I’ve missed. Some things are easily put right, while other comments make me think hard about what may need changing.

Finally, when I’ve done this with every chapter (which can take me at least a couple of months), I change the whole manuscript into a different font, enlarge it, and read it out loud. This results in me saying, “Eek, that sounds wrong” (or awkward, or inadequate, or repetitive, or whatever!), so I revise again. The enlarged font also helps me to spot any word and punctuation omissions. I know some people print out their manuscript, but I’m saving the rainforests!

I’m always tempted to continue tweaking, smoothing, and polishing, but, as Jen said yesterday, there comes a point when we have to force ourselves to stop!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! That's getting right down to the wire of a deadline...self-imposed or not! Good for you!

    Revising definitely can seem like a never-ending process. And yep, at some point, we just need to let it go.

    I'm all for saving the rainforest, but I have to admit I do print out my manuscripts to do a round of editing/revising. I tend to catch more things than when I'm looking on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree we can often find more things on the printed page than on the screen, but using a different font an enlarging it usually works for me. I've come to the conclusion that whatever method we use, we always miss something!

      Delete
  2. I was very impressed you made your deadline with minutes to spare. Good job! I love how organized your revising process seems--at least to me. And glad I can help. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The process might seem organised but really it's just the different stages I go through when revising, and when I'm actually doing it, I don't actually feel very organised!

      Delete
  3. Revisions, revisions! No matter how many times we go through our manuscripts we can always find something to alter. My critique partner picks up things even when I've gone through my manuscript with a fine tooth comb (to use an old expression). I guess it's all part of the process but it's not so much fun as writing it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually enjoying the revising, tweaking, and polishing process more than writing the story in the first place!

      Delete
  4. It is so important to use all the "tools" you listed here. Finding the right crit partners, who support and not override your voice, is important, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, Ana. Must admit I once found it very hard to critique a writer whose style/voice was totally different from mine.

      Delete