Monday, November 23, 2015

U is for Understanding

Ana muses on her golden rule of writing: write romance so the reader understands.

I have always been a lover of words. I analyze, perhaps too much, the nuances between words. In my mind, there is a difference between "adore" and "cherish." (To me, adore implies a worshiping from some distance, whereas cherish suggests a holding close.)

Whether or not I am correct, a writer needs to write so the reader understands the story s/he is trying to tell. Here is my (ever-growing) checklist:

1. a cover that fits the genre and conveys a feeling for the story.
2. a blurb that entices the reader as well as describes the story's tone and plot conflict.
3. good grammar.
4. Short paragraphs that generate lots of white space on the page.
5. Clear POVs. The reader should always know whose head the narrative and perspective is in. Also who says what.
6. Show the evolution - erosion of the reasons why the heroine and hero think they cannot be together. In other words, show how their attraction (love) is more powerful than all the obstacles to their union.


What would you add to this list?


6 comments:

  1. Great list, Ana. I think I'd add likable characters the reader can root for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chapters ending in such a way the reader is compelled to read on. I've often said to myself that I'll read to the end of a chapter but then found I simply had to carry on reading to find out what happened next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret has said exactly what I was going to say - cliff hanger endings for chapters, and also stories that keep moving without lengthy scenes or conversations that either slow everything down or add nothing new to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drat. Jennifer took mine. :)

    I was going to say relatable characters.

    ReplyDelete