Tuesday, February 16, 2016

G Is For Gabaldon

Jennifer reviews Outlander...

I’m not a bandwagon jumper, but I have to admit I LOVE Outlander! I was introduced to it by friends, heard that the TV show was starting, and raced to read the first book. At 850 pages, it is not a quick read. But it is so filled with rich detail, vivid descriptions and memorable characters, that I raced through it as quickly as I could in order to finish it before the show started.

And the show? It’s amazing too! Like most people, I usually like the books better than the movies, but in this case, I have to say they’ve done an excellent job staying true to the story. The actors are incredible and while they’ve combined or skipped things here or there, the final product is wonderful.

The new season of the show is starting soon, and I’ve just finished the second book in the series, Dragonfly in Amber, so I should be sufficiently caught up. If you like Scottish history, time travel and love stories, this series is for you.

Here’s the blurb from book 1:

Scottish Highlands, 1945. Claire Randall, a former British combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding clans in the year of Our Lord . . . 1743.

Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of a world that threatens her life, and may shatter her heart. Marooned amid danger, passion, and violence, Claire learns her only chance of safety lies in Jamie Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior. What begins in compulsion becomes urgent need, and Claire finds herself torn between two very different men, in two irreconcilable lives.


Amazon
5 Hearts

8 comments:

  1. I confess I have never read any of the books, and it hasn't reached our TV yet (as far as I know!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your history background, I really think you'd enjoy them.

      Delete
  2. i devoured the first three books in the series in 1990-something.
    I loved them. They egged me on to try to write myself. I discontinued our Showtime rent a year ago in a belt-tightening campaign, but i got to watch the first four episodes. Very well done for a complicated book to film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I haven't read these books either but you make them sound hugely interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like historical detail, you'll enjoy them. She brings history to life in lots of interesting ways.

      Delete
  4. I have to say I read the first book and didn't like it enough to read further in the series. However, I hear the show is excellent. Everyone keeps telling me I'd love it1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really long and detailed, which isn't everyone's thing.

      Delete