Thursday, August 9, 2012

First Lines

It's been a busy week, so I'm going to go with an 'easy' blog today and simply share the first lines from my books. As we've discussed before at Heroines with Hearts, first lines can be oh so important for setting up the story...so here are mine:

From This Time for Always: She'd once carried this man's baby.


From Wild Wedding Weeked: "I can't believe I let you talk me into this."


From This Can't Be Love: There was a naked man in her grandfather's bathtub.


From A Christmas to Remember: Did she really expect him to be there?


From An Unexpected Blessing (Coming soon): Katy Roth refrained from kicking the ceramic turkey planter on the porch.

From "This Feels Like Home" (under consideration with TWRP): Jake Hawkins spotted the newcomer right away.

From "Family Secrets" (under consideration with Harlequin): "Why didn't you call me?"

And from "One Great Night" (WIP): "I want you to be my sex tutor."


Now it's your turn to share some of the opening lines from your stories...

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

5 comments:

  1. I love these, Debra.
    What's your secret? Do they pop into your head, or are they the result of hours of editing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the time they just pop into my head. :)

    Although, the very first one from "Always" was actually the last line of the chapter when I first wrote it. After a critique session, my group told me I had it backwards...and they were right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All great opening lines. I like the naked man one best!
    My current WIP starts with "Hey, Anna, do you want the good news or the bad news?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sex tutor!?! Okay, that's just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula...that puts us right in. Hmn? If I were her, I'd go for the bad first to get it out of the way, and then the good news will seem even better! :)

    Jennifer...it just came to me!

    ReplyDelete